Shopping for unusual ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dragon, While something could have been in the grain, or other food, when all is in glass, it can't travel from one item to another. I especially watch chili peppers, when I haven't used them recently, to see if something is moving! If there is, I take it outside, dump it into a plastic bag, tie it off, and put it in the outside trash can.

One of my favorite places to "shop" is H Mart. It's a gigantic Asian supermarket with uncommon ingredients you won't see anywhere else. It even has a live fish tank where you can select the fish you want for dinner.

I usually go there with a short list of things I need and end up with more in the grocery cart.

If there is one in your area, it's worth a visit. It's like DisneyWorld for foodies.

There are two H Mart stores in Dallas, and neither is very close to me. I don't drive 30-minutes-plus for food unless there is a particular thing I need and that's what I have to do to get it. Not to mention, I'm not a huge fan of most Asian foods.

CD

I have one of those H Markets near me. It is mostly a Korean market, but the produce section is incredible! This store is rather small, but I think that the produce is half of the store!

Down here, we have Fiesta stores, which are Mexican supermarkets. They have an amazing produce department. Very wide variety, and good quality. The meat departments are not great. Great assortment of cheeses.

El Rancho Mexican supermarkets have much better meats, but they aren't as good as Fiesta for produce. The one closest to me is also rather small.

If a Fiesta opened up close to me, that would be the only grocery store I would need. Hispanic Grocery Store :: Fiesta Foods

CD

Yeah, in general, meat from Mexican markets are good for stews, soups, and well done grilling. I wouldn’t go there looking for rib-eye steaks, for instance...

Yep. El Rancho has some cuts I can't get anywhere else, but in general, the Mexican markets don't offer the better cuts of beef.

So, I guess I would still need Kroger for meat, even if a Fiesta moved in nearby. ;)

CD

The biggest problem we have at the local Asian/Chinese markets is that most of the employees don't speak English and most often we shop by picture from down loading them. Even that is only effective 1/2 the time. Most of them carry live seafood such as dungeness crab and geoduck.

The biggest problem we have at the local Asian/Chinese markets is that most of the employees don't speak English and most often we shop by picture from down loading them. Even that is only effective 1/2 the time. Most of them carry live seafood such as dungeness crab and geoduck.

Also, packaged items are often labeled in their native languages. These are items shipped here from overseas with original domestic packaging.

LOL... I giggled my way down the entire aisle when I read the label on a green vegetable to see what it was ... "Vegetable".

We have a small Asian market in our town and there is often a language barrier. It's easier to get an English speaker at H Mart.

We have a small Asian market in our town and there is often a language barrier. It's easier to get an English speaker at H Mart.

H marts are a nationwide chain and its pretty easy to find English speaking employees at one.

Kam Man market not so much (Andy have you ever been to it? In quincy… with an attached mall/junk store. Fabulous).

The Asian market by me, the woman has broken English, but enough to understand. When I go to the counter to pay, after looking at all my stuff , she says " oh, you're vegetarian?", then she tells me alternate methods to cook up the things that I am purchasing. Its actually kinda cool to get first hand advice on the products. I understand just enough of what she says to make it work

H marts are a nationwide chain and its pretty easy to find English speaking employees at one.

Kam Man market not so much (Andy have you ever been to it? In quincy… with an attached mall/junk store. Fabulous).

Never been, Jen. There was one a while ago called M Mart??? in the Medford area. The H Mart is about 20-25 minutes away in Burlington.

Communicating is usually not a problem.
Since we have large Korean, Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and other Asian communities out here we have supermarkets that mostly cater to each, the biggest being Korean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom