"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2022, 11:53 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Should olive oil be refrigerated?

the problem is if olive oil is refrigerated it solidifies and doesn't pour. But if it isn't refrigerated it supposedly spoils or something.

georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #2
Master Chef

Oil can go rancid. Be sure to keep it away from the stove (too warm) and in the dark (no sunlight) So keep it cool and dark - but NOT the fridge.

Other than that it will only go off with age. Buy only what you can use in a reasonable time. Sorry, cannot define "reasonable time" as everyone's use and area of use are different.

IMHO
Old 01-13-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
Master Chef

I don't refrigerate either. I keep my oil on the counter, in dark colored wine bottles and add a spout.
I don't think I have ever come across any rancid oil. But the 2 liter bottles of olive oil we buy are used within 5 months or so. Maybe a bit sooner.
I keep the remaining oil not in the wine bottles downstairs in a very cool dark basement.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I've always had my olive oil close to where it's used, with no spoilage.

Ross
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220113_125708178.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	50785
Old 01-13-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I keep my olive oil in a cupboard, within reach of the stove. I haven't had EVOO go rancid in many years. The only time I have had it go rancid, was when I didn't use it very often. Now, I use it at least several times a week. For the "everyday" EVOO, I buy it in 1 litre bottles.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevan View Post
the problem is if olive oil is refrigerated it solidifies and doesn't pour. But if it isn't refrigerated it supposedly spoils or something.
If it makes you feel better to refrigerate it, just form the habit of taking it out of the fridge before you do any other food prep. Keep it in a smaller bottle so it warms up and becomes fluid quicker. If you forget to take it out, immersing that small bottle in a container of barely warm water will loosen it quickly.

I keep my olive oil in different areas of the house. I keep reusing a tall, narrow Trader Joe's bottle, green with no-drip insert in the opening, for my basic cooking olive oil. It lives on the counter right next to the stove and is refilled from the larger can of the same oil that lives in the basement. I've never had a 52-ounce container of oil go off using that method. I also have a bit nicer finishing/salad dressing olive oil (California Olive Ranch) that I keep in the kitchen pantry. It's also remained good to the last drop, but I buy a smaller bottle of that one, never larger than the 750 ML one.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:14 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I buy olive oil in a metal can - blocks all light, blocks all oxygen (almost... there is a spout...) it's kept in the basement at 65'F or less.

countertop 'olive oil dispenser bottle' - hold about 24 fluid ounces, lasts ~ two weeks.

never a problem - but indeed, keeping 2-3-4 months supply exposed to countertop light and temps . . that's running 'the risk'

I use virgin (not Exxx) for all that sh*t - 3 liters lasts me roughly 10 months.

it smokes? yeah - that's how I know the pan is up to temp.....
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:51 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I'm keeping olive oil in a cupboard too, never had any problem.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:39 PM   #9
Head Chef

Let me ask you a question, Georgeevan.
Would you put canola , or peanut oil in the fridge?
Im not trying to be funny; its just that I want to know.
Putting oil in the fridge will undoubtedly extend its life - by a little - but oil ( and I include olive oil) has a pretty long shelf life outside. Depends, I suppose, on how much oil you use.
I keep olive oil in the closet.It lasts at least 6-8 months without going off. Delicate oils (hazelnut, almond, walnut, even sesame) tend to last less.
So when I buy them, I buy for a specific purpose and try to use them as quickly as possible.
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
I buy olive oil in a metal can - blocks all light, blocks all oxygen (almost... there is a spout...) it's kept in the basement at 65'F or less.

countertop 'olive oil dispenser bottle' - hold about 24 fluid ounces, lasts ~ two weeks.

never a problem - but indeed, keeping 2-3-4 months supply exposed to countertop light and temps . . that's running 'the risk'

I use virgin (not Exxx) for all that sh*t - 3 liters lasts me roughly 10 months.

it smokes? yeah - that's how I know the pan is up to temp.....

I've always heard that you should buy olive oil in opaque canisters, and even them, store them in the dark. Light is its enemy.

Has anyone used a Botticelli olive oil before? A large tin is on sale this week in a local supermarket.
Into the mystic
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, olive oil