Shrimp & chicken kabobs question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsBonilla

Assistant Cook
Hello, I wanted to know has anyone made shrimp & chicken Kabobs put in the oven or frying pan i do not have a grill and would really like to make these any advice on which to use..:chef: also were would i buy the wooden sticks?

Hi MrsBonilla, and welcome! I've never baked or fried kabobs, but I have done them in my oven using the "broil" setting. Not as good as over an outdoor grill but still tasty. You can find bamboo skewers in a lot of places. I bought my last package at one of those discount Dollar-type stores. They probably have them in grocery stores and discount places too. I use mine for fruit kabobs since I have metal ones for grilling. Good luck.

Mrs. bonilla, not sure if you meant to have chicken and shrimp on the same kabob? I would avoid that like the plague. Shrimp cooks extremely fast as compared to chicken. You will either have shrimp that is like rubber or uncooked chicken. Keep them on seperate kabobs and enjoy.

A neat tip I saw in a magazine: Use an old wine bottle to put the kabob sticks in. You can soak them in water very easy that way. You can also add lemon juice or anything to the wine bottle to give a nice aroma to the sticks as you eat off them.

First, I agree about the shrimp and chicken on the same skewer. Unless the shrimp are VERY large and the chicken is cut very small, (even then, it might be tricky) I would cook them separately.
Second, think of the broiler in your oven as an inverted electric grill. You will, of course, be lacking the smoky aspect from a charcoal grill.
Third, you might consider a smaller type grill, such as a hibachi.

...A neat tip I saw in a magazine: Use an old wine bottle to put the kabob sticks in. You can soak them in water very easy that way. You can also add lemon juice or anything to the wine bottle to give a nice aroma to the sticks as you eat off them.

I like that idea! Empty wine bottles can be used for a lot of things. When we visited our daughter I brought everything I needed to make a pie with crust from scratch, but she couldn't find my Mom's old rolling pin (daughter doesn't bake pies). Rather than buy yet another rolling pin (I have two) I checked for a substitute online. Lots of people suggested an empty wine bottle. I had fun emptying it too. ;)

I doubt Mrs. B intended chicken and shrimp on the same kabob. I don't think anybody would do that since it makes no sense, and it's obvious to most that it would be difficult to get the doneness perfect on a mixed kabob.

Your best bet is under the broiler. Not as good as a grill but I'm sure they'll come out fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom