Sieved tomatoes for Stuffed Red Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

summerf

Assistant Cook
Hi, I just found a recipe for stuffed red peppers and it calls for 1 1/2 cups of sieved tomatoes.
Unfortunately, I don't have any fresh tomatoes and I was wondering if I could use canned tomatoes. If so, should I drain the can first, mush them up as best I can and then measure out 1 1/2 cups?
I would like to make them for dinner Monday night so hopefully someone can help me out.
Thanks a lot.
P.S. Since joining this forum I must say my husband says my cooking has improved.
Summer:angel:

I agree completely with GB - not only will the canned ones work perfectly fine, but at this time of year & with that type of recipe, they - quite frankly - will most likely work much better than fresh would.

Sieved tomatoes would also go by the name tomato puree. Just pour canned tomatoes into a sieve and drain (reserve the juice). Then using a spatula or spoon press the tomatoes through the sieve - measure out 1 1/2 cups. You can also get the same results using a food mill. You can use some of the reserved tomato juice to thin it out if you think it is too thick.

Sieved tomatoes would also go by the name tomato puree. Just pour canned tomatoes into a sieve and drain (reserve the juice). Then using a spatula or spoon press the tomatoes through the sieve - measure out 1 1/2 cups. You can also get the same results using a food mill. You can use some of the reserved tomato juice to thin it out if you think it is too thick.

That's just what I was going to suggest, Michael. You beat me to it. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom