Simple and good recipe for Sweet potatoes & Carrots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flowersa

Assistant Cook
Hi guys I'd love to get some simple and good recipe what can I do with Sweet potatoes and carrots (I can add regular potatoes too) usually I only boil it with some salt and that's all

Hi. I love to roast all kinds of root vegetables. It brings out their sweetness. Cut veggies into 1-inch pieces, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for 20-30 minutes till tender and lightly browned. Some need a little longer than others, but this is a great technique for potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips and beets (I'm not a fan of beets, but if you are, this works for them, too). You can sprinkle them with fresh parsley or other herbs or a little balsamic vinegar or lemon juice when they come out of the oven.

You can also put them on the bottom of a roasting pan when roasting a chicken and let them cook together. The juices from the chicken will get into the veggies and flavor it all nicely. Hope this helps.

Hi I'm a vegetarian.. :chef: I never yet tried to roast vegetables but I'm sure the result is awesome, I have to check about the kind of paper I will use for the oven this is the safe option for me...what about the time I should roast it or better asking how I know it's done?

Hi. I love to roast all kinds of root vegetables. It brings out their sweetness. Cut veggies into 1-inch pieces, toss with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast for 20-30 minutes till tender and lightly browned. Some need a little longer than others, but this is a great technique for potatoes, onions, carrots, parsnips and beets (I'm not a fan of beets, but if you are, this works for them, too). You can sprinkle them with fresh parsley or other herbs or a little balsamic vinegar or lemon juice when they come out of the oven.

You can also put them on the bottom of a roasting pan when roasting a chicken and let them cook together. The juices from the chicken will get into the veggies and flavor it all nicely. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Parchment paper works great for roasting veg, and you don't get the pan dirty! I roast at 450°. Cherry tomatoes are also outstanding roasted, a bit of olive oil, some sea salt and ground black pepper, and :yum: A drizzle of balsamic vinegar is also nice.

Last edited:
Hi I'm a vegetarian.. :chef: I never yet tried to roast vegetables but I'm sure the result is awesome, I have to check about the kind of paper I will use for the oven this is the safe option for me...what about the time I should roast it or better asking how I know it's done?

Roast them for about 20-30 minutes, so start checking them at 20 minutes. Stick a fork in them and if it slides in and out easily, they're done. You can use foil or a Silpat to help keep the pan clean, if you want.

This is a basic method I often make carrots. Sometimes I oven roast them if I have something else in the oven at the same time, otherwise, cook on top of the stove.

Herbed Carrots

8 carrots, washed , peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 clove garlic, minced

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Herbs such as Tarragon, Thyme,
Rosemary, Grated fresh Ginger, Mint, Cumin with lime juice is good. Use one or a pleasing combination

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

A squeeze of lemon juice and some lemon zest is good to add as is
Orange juice and orange zest

Garnish with chopped parsley or snipped green onion tops

In a large saucepan or skillet, cover carrots with water and bring to boil - keep pot covered.

Reduce heat and continue simmering for about 10 - 15 more minutes or until carrots are tender.

Drain water from the pot.

Stir in the remaining ingredients and allow to cook for 2 more minutes or until butter is melted.

I like sweet potatoes rather plain, as I like the flavor. I poke a couple holes in sweet potatoes with a knife or a fork ( to allow steam to release while baking) . Bake for about an hour in a medium heated oven or until done.

Serve with butter. Some people sprinkle with ground cinnamon

I am told toasted ground cumin seeds and lime juice and zest mashed into soft butter is good, although I haven't tried this. I have made this combo with roasted carrots, so it should work.

Hi guys I'd love to get some simple and good recipe what can I do with Sweet potatoes and carrots (I can add regular potatoes too) usually I only boil it with some salt and that's all
Soup - sweat an onion in a tablespoon of oil or butter & oil (mixing a little oil with your butter helps it not to burn) until softened and translucent, add crushed clove of garlic and cook for a minute, add cubed or sliced s/potatoes and carrots and cook for a few minutes. Add hot stock (chicken or vegetable according to your preference - cubes or concentrate dissolved in water are fine) and I like to add some grated orange rind and juice but that's optional. Simmer until the veg are soft. Cool slightly and puree to serve (reheat gently if you've let it cool too much for eating). Sorry, forgot about salt and pepper and whatever herbs you like. In winter when I don't have any fresh herbs I use dried mixed herbs but don't go mad when scattering them into the pot! I like to serve it with some heavy cream or yoghourt stirred in.

OR

Roast cubed carrots and sweet potatoes with slice or wedges of onions (any variety) in olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer) and herbs (fresh if possible) eg thyme and/or rosemary, parsley, coriander/cilantro (leaves or seeds) and serve as a side dish. Roasted sweet potato is much nicer than boiled.

OR

Baked (well, microwaved in my case!) until tender and served with any baked potato filling you fancy

Hope this has inspired you. I expect you have lots more recipes coming at you from DC

Last edited:
Soup - Add hot stock (chicken or vegetable according to your preference - cubes or concentrate dissolved in water are fine) and I like to add some grated orange rind and juice but that's optional.
Just noticed that you're vegetarian. To add extra nutrition to the soup you could mix your stock cube or concentrate with milk instead of water. I often do this with soups.

If you like it a couple of spoonsful of peanut butter added to veg soups make a nice change although I'd do a tester first before slinging it into the whole pot of soup in case you don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom