Simple Does It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
During the summer I like the fruits. I'll cut them up to make it easier to eat. Watermelon, cantaloupe (not really a fan of honeydew), peaches, black berries, strawberries. I like to make a fruit salad of fresh sliced peaches, sliced strawberries and blackberries. Add a little sugar. Chill. Sometimes if I have it, I'll put whipped cream on top or serve it over pound cake with milk. We're not big on desserts here.

They are a candy bar made by the Mars Candy company. Basically, they are a nougat, with caramel on top, all covered in milk chocolate. Do a google search for the product. You will find all the info you desire about 3 Musketeers bars.

Um, i'm not perfectly certain if they have a ribbon of caramel or not.:ermm:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

3 Musketeers has no caramel...you described a Milky Way bar...both are fantastic frozen.

3 Musketeers has no caramel...you described a Milky Way bar...both are fantastic frozen.

Thanks PF looked it up, it's chocolate nougat covered in milk chocolate. The original used to have 3 layers of nougat. Strawberry, vanilla and chocolate.

We have Mars bars and Milkyway here. And we once again since 2 weeks ago have Cadbury Caramello Bears!!!!! Yay :)

My dessert of choice right now is a funny one - a good chunk of bleu cheese, a mandarin or clementine (whichever I can get), and a small handful of sea salt Kettle Chips.

Very simple but with such rich flavour tones. Love it!

It's MaraNatha brand. Check in a whole foods type store. Or not...more for me!

I love cashew butter and pumpkin seed butter! Yum, so many lovely alternatives to peanut butter nowadays :)
I broke my processor making pumpkin seed butter a while back :( the motor burned out! Think I'll just buy them at the health shop in future :LOL:

during this time of crazy hot weather i've been revisiting a childhood favorite treat--i had quite forgotten about it for many years: we called it an ice cream float--made in a large, tall glass, like for iced tea maybe, plop a scoop or two (or 3) of ice cream - vanilla is best for this, then pour soda, stirring the ice cream all the while, til your glass is full and frothy on top. we usually used ginger ale or 7-up (that dates this float and me doesn't it), but cola and root beer were favorites too. the ice cream float was really a magical kind of treat, with the surprising mixtures of sweet froth, ice cream and soda--any soda, really. in my day this was the poor man's ice cream soda or malt. in today's day, they are just as good as i remembered them to be....

Neither most of my friends, nor husband and I, are really desert people. But keeping a bottle of liqueur and some good ice cream on hand really does it for most people (and me, when I'm in the mood.

texherp said:
Open up a can of sweetened condensed milk and grab a spoon!

Forgot how good that is! Or caramel, or chocolate syrup...

Lime or coke floats, from many years ago. Will have to get some ice cream!

Last edited:
For a change of pace, try using fruity sherberts with like flavored soda-pop for your floats, or try Cream Soda with vanilla ice cream. Of course, my go-to favorite is and iced A&W glass, with A&W Root Beer, and vanilla ice cream. It's hard to beat.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

How odd that I've never tried that. The only way I've had the milk of that form is mixed with jello and frozen into small cups. It's awesome that way!

I'm going to pick up a can of it and try it right from the can! :LOL:

during this time of crazy hot weather i've been revisiting a childhood favorite treat--i had quite forgotten about it for many years: we called it an ice cream float--made in a large, tall glass, like for iced tea maybe, plop a scoop or two (or 3) of ice cream - vanilla is best for this, then pour soda, stirring the ice cream all the while, til your glass is full and frothy on top. we usually used ginger ale or 7-up (that dates this float and me doesn't it), but cola and root beer were favorites too. the ice cream float was really a magical kind of treat, with the surprising mixtures of sweet froth, ice cream and soda--any soda, really. in my day this was the poor man's ice cream soda or malt. in today's day, they are just as good as i remembered them to be....

These are great made with chocolate milk instead of soda pop!

The soda made with 7 up and vanilla ice cream used to be called a Snow White in our area. They also used to make a Purple Cow with grape soda.

a couple of nights ago, i had vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries sliced on it. it really hit the spot. it set me to wondering what the rest of you do for a simple , simple but delicious dessert.

nothing fancy, remember. :chef:

what a great little thread you came up with here, babetoo. as you can see, it really took off like a rocket. lots of good ideas for the sweet tooth here. lots of people will be having their "simple" pleasures tonight--even some of those who said they weren't exactly dessert-minded folk, i'll bet....;)

I like to make mine with Orange Crush Soda. YUMMY:chef:

PattY1 said:
What kind of soda do you use?

An old drugstore, many years ago in Ontario, served them. My mom had them as a kid and carried on the tradition with us. I really am not sure, they were wonderful! Vanilla ice cream, seltzer, and sweet lime syrup, I think. The old soda jerk stuff.

Orange Crush sounds really good!

Last edited:

I could never figure out why I craved that flavor...my Mom told me my Aunt used to eat it that way and when I came along she opened 2 cans...we have a picture of the two of us enjoying a can. I still crave it on occasion, but it's too sweet.

I love floats. Haven't had a single summer go by where I haven't had at least one. Probably one of my favorite simple deserts.

Back
Top Bottom