Simple Pleasures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tuna sandwiches. The plainer the better. Tuna, mayo, bread. Now, if it's for lunch, then other stuff can be added, but for comfort, simple.

PB & J.

Cold boxed cereals-- Wheaties, wheat chex, rice krispies. I seldom buy this.
A deli and cafe in the village does a tinned tuna and wasabi sandwich on home made bread with pickled ginger on the side. I didn't think tinned tuna could be to die for but this was delicious.

On a bad day I will 1) open a can Campbell's of cream of mushroom soup, 2) mix with an equal amount of milk in a 1 1/2 quart Corningware French White round casserole, 3) cover and microwave on half-power, giving it a stir-and-taste until it's hot, and 4) taking it out of the microwave with a kitchen towel, sitting down and putting in on my lap, and go to it until the dish is empty. Never fails to work.

When I was a kid my Mom would make a Polish milk & dumpling soup. Finally found a recipe online for Zacierki :w00t: and I'll probably make it this winter.

On a bad day I will 1) open a can Campbell's of cream of mushroom soup, 2) mix with an equal amount of milk in a 1 1/2 quart Corningware French White round casserole, 3) cover and microwave on half-power, giving it a stir-and-taste until it's hot, and 4) taking it out of the microwave with a kitchen towel, sitting down and putting in on my lap, and go to it until the dish is empty. Never fails to work.

When I was a kid my Mom would make a Polish milk & dumpling soup. Finally found a recipe online for Zacierki :w00t: and I'll probably make it this winter.

Mmm. I do that too, CG. Cream of mushroom, milk, with a can of extra mushrooms. And lots of crackers.

Mmm. I do that too, CG. Cream of mushroom, milk, with a can of extra mushrooms. And lots of crackers.

It is good with the can of mushrooms and no milk over some biscuits, rice or mashed potatoes!

A splash of sherry and a dash of cayenne doesn't hurt it any! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

After our Solstice party, leftover trifle is very comforting. I make extra so I'm sure there will be some "left over".

It is good with the can of mushrooms and no milk over some biscuits, rice or mashed potatoes!

A splash of sherry and a dash of cayenne doesn't hurt it any! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
Must that sherry be added to the soup Aunt Bea? Better yet, a splash in the soup and a bigger splash into my mouth! Thanks for the hint. ;)

Must that sherry be added to the soup Aunt Bea? Better yet, a splash in the soup and a bigger splash into my mouth! Thanks for the hint. ;)
The cook should always test the cooking wine by tasting it. It should be good enough for the cook to enjoy while cooking. Sherry is a fortified wine, so the rule applies. :D

Heinz Cream of Tomato soup does it for me.

The cook should always test the cooking wine by tasting it. It should be good enough for the cook to enjoy while cooking. Sherry is a fortified wine, so the rule applies. :D
That reminds me of a mug I was once given with the slogan "I like to cook with wine - and I sometimes put it in the food"

hmmm, this is a tough one for me to put a handle on, as most of the foods I consider comfort foods are whole meals and I wouldn't say exactly easy. Not hard, but multiple steps/ingredients involved.
Can we consider chocolate milk a comfort food? I still enjoy a glass of chocolate milk from time to time. Milk, Hershey's Syrup, stir. Maybe those biscuits would go well with it, too :yum:

You got it Pac! :chef:
I love to dip double stuffed Oreo's in mine. What makes it a pleasure is that the Oreo's are from my secret stash. They never think to check the freezer or the crock pot.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

It's a pleasure to get one over on them for a change.
"Heyyyyy, where did you get those Oreo's?"
What Oreo's? That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :angel:

Munky.

If you like chocolate milk, try creme de cacao in milk. Tastes as good as chocolate milk tasted when I was a kid. ;) It's called a brown cow.

This was a tough question for me. Just like pacanis, comfort foods are meals for the most part and take time and effort to make. Especially those that are my Mom's recipes.

However, he egg and lemon soup is relatively easy and always makes me feel good.

Two cups of chicken stock/broth, two ounces of dry angel hair pasta broken up into small pieces. Cook pasta in chicken broth until soft. Meanwhile whisk an egg with some lemon juice. Temper the egg/lemon mixture with the hot soup. Season and serve.

Certainly there's a lot more than this to comfort food but this is one that is quick.

That soup sounds good, Andy. I think I am going to try some un-tempered. I'll dribble the egg/lemon mixture into the soup as it's simmering. Lemon and chicken broth, good for what ails you.

That soup sounds good, Andy. I think I am going to try some un-tempered. I'll dribble the egg/lemon mixture into the soup as it's simmering. Lemon and chicken broth, good for what ails you.

It will taste the same but the egg will cook and be like Chinese hot and sour soup with egg ribbons.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping.
When I was a kid mom would take Lipton's chicken and noodle cup-a-soup, bring it to a boil and drop in egg/flour/parsley dumplings right out of the bowl with a fork. A childhood favorite.

If you don't have a lemon on hand, beat an egg with a couple tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese and a couple of tablespoons of bread crumbs then stir it into the hot soup to make "rags". The Italians call it Stracciatelli or Rag Soup, it is tasty on a cold day when you don't have much in the house and you don't want to make a trip to the store.

Back
Top Bottom