Slow cookers, adjust "normal" recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nick85

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I'm using my slow cooler more and more now and was wondering if I need to adapt normal recipes for say a chilli or a stew for a slow cooker? Do I reduce the amount of liquid I put in to begin with or just reduce after? Does that make sense? It's been a long day at work!

Thank you

Nick

Hello,

I'm using my slow cooler more and more now and was wondering if I need to adapt normal recipes for say a chilli or a stew for a slow cooker? Do I reduce the amount of liquid I put in to begin with or just reduce after? Does that make sense? It's been a long day at work!

Thank you

Nick

Hey Nick, welcome to DC! When cooking in a crock pot, less water is needed. That's the only change I make to most recipes. If needed, I add boiling water during the cooking cycle or after it's completed cooking.

Welcome to DC :)

As Tim said less is better. Boiling water after the fact is the way to go.
Condensation from the dish that your making will drip back down into the crock. Keeping everything from burning and still cooking and keeping a roast or chicken moist.

Here's a link for some recipes, help, tips on those vessels. I love my crocks all 6, after today it will be 7..

Slow Cookers - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Best of luck.

Munky.

Timothy said:
Hey Nick, welcome to DC! When cooking in a crock pot, less water is needed. That's the only change I make to most recipes. If needed, I add boiling water during the cooking cycle or after it's completed cooking.

What sort of level should u have for the liquid? 3/4 up the ingredients for say a stew? How much stock for a joint of meat? I don't have a instruction book

Nick

Sorry second half of my message wasn't written there, I'm on my phone and pressed the wrong button.

I don't have an instruction book and a lot of recipes I have seen have ingredients I don't have. Is there any websites or books you would recommend?

Nick.

Chef Munky said:
Welcome to DC :)

As Tim said less is better. Boiling water after the fact is the way to go.
Condensation from the dish that your making will drip back down into the crock. Keeping everything from burning and still cooking and keeping a roast or chicken moist.

Here's a link for some recipes, help, tips on those vessels. I love my crocks all 6, after today it will be 7..

Slow Cookers - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Best of luck.

Munky.

Thanks I will look now, I'm cooking a curry tonight. See how that turns out.

Sorry second half of my message wasn't written there, I'm on my phone and pressed the wrong button.

I don't have an instruction book and a lot of recipes I have seen have ingredients I don't have. Is there any websites or books you would recommend?

Nick.

The best place I can recommend is a fantastic cooking site named "Discuss Cooking"....wait,...you've found that one....:wacko:

Ask ANY question you have here on DC and it will get answered by the multitude of awesome cooks here! Watch especially for MsMoffet's recipes. She is one fantastic cook!

Ok, my sauce is very runny. I'm going to use some corn flour to thinken it up. How much should I use? Make it into a paste with cold water right?

Thanks everyone

Nick.

Cheers for the help, my curry sauce was nice and thick!

I used coconut milk with no problems but I've been told that it can split easily. Is that true? Any way to prevent it?

Anything else I could uses as a base? E.g chopped tomatoes.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom