Slow Oven Cooking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creative

Head Chef
I am interested in recipes like pulled pork, lamb etc but don't have a slow cooker. I have seen recipes that say to slow cook e.g. Mk half (not even 1) for 4 hours. Whilst I realise that is very low...4 hours seems a long time to have an oven on. What I am concerned about is the amount of gas used (via the gas bill). Is 4 hours at this low setting say, the equivalent of about 2 hours on Mk 6 ish, i.e. nothing to be concerned over?

That's difficult question to answer. Too many variables.

In fact, if you're making pulled pork, you start with a Boston butt which is about 7-8 pounds. After rubbing with spices, a full butt should be roasted for 12-14 hours at gas mark 1/4 or 225ºF or 110ºC until an internal temperature >195ºF is attained. Then it can be pulled and packaged in individual portions and frozen if necessary.

Not sure what your gas prices are in the UK but it's a cost of making great pulled pork.

Thanks. It isn't necessary to know gas prices in UK, since what I am trying to establish is the equivalent in heat/energy ratio. For instance, can 4 hours at Mk half or Mk. 1 be said to be roughly the amount of heat as, say at Mk. 6 for 2 hours? Just want to get some idea if 4 hours would really rack up the bill or if it is no big deal.

The point of cooking for a long time at a low temperature (low and slow) is to allow the connective tissue in tough cuts of meat to break down and become tender. You can't rush this process by using a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time.

Last edited:
Why not get a slow cooker, Creative? They're super cheap and very versatile.

Thanks. It isn't necessary to know gas prices in UK, since what I am trying to establish is the equivalent in heat/energy ratio. For instance, can 4 hours at Mk half or Mk. 1 be said to be roughly the amount of heat as, say at Mk. 6 for 2 hours? Just want to get some idea if 4 hours would really rack up the bill or if it is no big deal.

I don't think that's a question anyone here can answer beyond a guess. It's dependent on your oven, it's heat retention, etc. It's not at all clear that half the temperature uses half the gas.

Why not get a slow cooker, Creative? They're super cheap and very versatile.
I like the idea of it but have no spare space at all in my already small kitchen. I have small areas of working surfaces and my cupboards are far too crowded to accommodate storage of a slow cooker.

The point of cooking for a long time at a low temperature (low and slow) is to allow the connective tissue in tough cuts of meat to break down and become tender. You can't rush this process by using a higher temperature for a shorter amount of time.

In BBQ comps, there are some folks cooking at 350 F+ temps on brisket that are winning over 225-250 F cooks. Haven't heard about doing this with pork though.

I don't think that's a question anyone here can answer beyond a guess. It's dependent on your oven, it's heat retention, etc. It's not at all clear that half the temperature uses half the gas.
O.K. Thanks anyway. Just thought I would ask. Perhaps a gas company or gas cooker company might know? That may be the way forward unless someone posts here with the info I seek.

O.K. Thanks anyway. Just thought I would ask. Perhaps a gas company or gas cooker company might know? That may be the way forward unless someone posts here with the info I seek.

I think your best bet would be to ask the manufacturer of the oven.

I am interested in recipes like pulled pork, lamb etc but don't have a slow cooker. I have seen recipes that say to slow cook e.g. Mk half (not even 1) for 4 hours. Whilst I realise that is very low...4 hours seems a long time to have an oven on. What I am concerned about is the amount of gas used (via the gas bill). Is 4 hours at this low setting say, the equivalent of about 2 hours on Mk 6 ish, i.e. nothing to be concerned over?
Oh dear, despite many years working for British Gas I haven't a clue about this. The only thing I can suggest is that you put a big casserole in the oven at the same time, to freeze later in serving portions, then you'll be making a more economical use of the gas. I cook my Christmas cake at mark 1 for about 6 hours (it's a big one!) so if you put the pulled pork on the bottom shelf and, say, a casserole or your Christmas cake on the middle shelf of the oven set on mark 1, you should be OK. (Of course, if your oven is fan assisted this won't work.)

Sorry I can't be more precise. I doubt the gas providers have cookery advisers any more, like BG used to have in the dim and distant past.

I like the idea of it but have no spare space at all in my already small kitchen. I have small areas of working surfaces and my cupboards are far too crowded to accommodate storage of a slow cooker.
And it's a sad fact of kitchen life that if you keep your slow cooker in a cupboard you won't use it. Ditto, food mixers, coffee machines, juicers, etc., etc.

You could contact Stoves UK. Their contact details are:
Customer Care - Stoves
for info about this. You may need to pretend you have or are about to buy one of their cookers (if they ask) so you can borrow the details of mine. It's a Stoves Richmond 1100 GT gas range cooker and has a gas fan oven and a standard gas oven. (It also has an electric slow cooker oven but you could tell them that this isn't big enough for what you want to cook!).

Hope that helps.

Mad Cook - thanks for that contact and use of your stove! I also thought of an energy efficiency hotline that I might try.

Yes I like to combine cooking more than one thing in the oven. Using my oven thermometer, if I have the oven on at, say, Mk 4 I have worked out what temp. the other shelves are i.e. 2 shelves above the centre shelf and also below centre. That way I can cook dishes together with varying temperatures i.e. when it calls for precise temp.

Last edited:
Wish I could help but I've never particularly worried about it. I cook foods at the temperature range recommend by the recipe or use, and it is what it is. I've roasted chicken at 250F for 5 hours, and I've roasted it at 350F for about 1:15. They come out quite different, but both methods work. The best thing about the lower temps is that it doesn't heat up the kitchen as much during hot months.

Some cuts of meat require slower times for best results, processes like braising short ribs or chuck roast, properly cooking a pork butt (another one that I've done at 250F for 5 or 6 hours).

All of that said, I don't know what uses the most gas. Is there a particular reason for your concern? I lived in the Bahamas for 2 years, and LP gas was expensive there, but I still just used what I needed to get the job done.

Last edited:

It just needs to sit on a solid surface for several hours. It doesn't have to be in the kitchen :)

It just needs to sit on a solid surface for several hours. It doesn't have to be in the kitchen :)
Ah right...well, my place is tiny and has minimal surfaces. I have a thin wooden table in the living room but not sure about the conduction of heat on it etc...plus problem with plugging it in (sockets already crowded with plugs). Not really do-able.

If your oven is very efficient (well insulated) gas usage should be minimal. Your gas only comes on to maintain your temperature, it is not burning continuously.
How do I ascertain if it is well insulated? Presumably this means more than being at the correct temp - I have an oven thermometer.

How do I ascertain if it is well insulated? Presumably this means more than being at the correct temp - I have an oven thermometer.

Like most any kitchen oven out there I assume your oven has an "on" thermostat light. As long as it doesn't come on too frequently it is maintaining your pre-set temp pretty well. You're burning gas only when that thermostat/indicator light is on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom