Small Unit measures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some measuring spoon sets include a ⅛ tsp. Otherwise, just dp the ¼ tsp measuring spoon half way into the ingredient and you're all set. ⅜ is ¼+half a ¼.

If you're off a little, it won't matter. because the spoon is so small variances are small too.

Of course, you could always buy a measuring spoon set that includes a ⅛ tsp and a "Pinch" spoon. The pinch spoon is 1/16th of a tsp or half a ⅛ tsp.

Last edited:
You got the right idea - just use the 1/8 tsp (assuming you have one of those, otherwise use the method Andy suggested above), and use it 3 times. I don't remember seeing 1/8 tb
in recipes, though maybe you are trying to multiply or divide some recipes.

39817-albums1064-picture7314.jpg
[/IMG]

Do you mean 1/8 TABLESPOON or 1/8 teaspoon?

I have never seen a ⅛ tablespoon measure call for in a recipe. But there are ⅛ tsp spoons out there. So three ⅛ spoons or a ¼ and a ⅛ will do the trick. Also a ½ tsp spoon not quite full will do the trick.

I remember one method I saw in a bread recipe for measuring out 1/32 tsp yeast: dissolve 1/8 tsp in a cup of water, then discard 3/4 c of the dissolved solution. 1/4 c has the 1/32 tsp in it.

I remember one method I saw in a bread recipe for measuring out 1/32 tsp yeast: dissolve 1/8 tsp in a cup of water, then discard 3/4 c of the dissolved solution. 1/4 c has the 1/32 tsp in it.

Frankly, I can't imagine a little yeast more or less will make a difference. I wonder what the recipe was that calls for 1/32 of a tsp of yeast.

Andy, This was just one of a number of recipes that I made that called for a very small amount of yeast, to make the biga. It sort of combines the idea of making an overnight soaker - like a biga, but without the yeast - with a regular biga. Different flavors develop before the yeast takes over, which doesn't take long, unless a very small amount is used, for much longer. Another recipe - a favorite ciabatta of mine - uses even less, in the initial biga. The recipe calls for dissolving 1/8 tsp instant yeast in a cup of water, then measuring out 1/2 tsp of the solution - so only 1/364 tsp! Yet, the biga triples in 24 hours.

How can I measure 1/8 Tbsp? Don't think that size exists anywhere. Or 3/8 tsp for that matter.

Just multiply the recipe by 8 and the you can use the whole tablespoon.;):LOL:

I'm sorry, I am joking of course. But there are plenty of good answers above already.

12.5% of the mass of 1 teaspoon

My point is that teaspoons and tablespoons and fractions thereof are measures of volume while a scale measures weight. A set volume of different ingredients will have different weights. e.g. a tablespoon of salt will weigh more than a tablespoon of oregano or flour etc.

In order for a scale to be useful, you'd have to have a chart of volumes to weights of all common ingredients.

That's what I eventually figured out, after thinking one would need to know the weight equivalent. But, I think we are looking for 12.5% of one tablespoon. ;)

⅛th of a tablespoon is the same as ⅜ths of a teaspoon which is ¼ + ⅛. All of which has nothing to do with weight.

Back
Top Bottom