Smoke point of olive oils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
What is the "smoke point" of regular olive oil vs. extra virgin olive oil? I read somewhere that regular olive oil can withstand much higher temperatures than EVO. Is this true?

Hi, chave. Check out this chart for the smoking point for a large variety of oils. I think you'll find the answer to your question there.

Thanks, that helps. So since regular olive oil has a higher smoke point than EVO, would it make sense to use the regular stuff more often?

Well what are the normal temperatures when you're cooking something on an electric range? Like, if EVO has a smoke point of around 400 degrees, would it be able to withstand the "high" setting?

If you are out to pan sear something at a high temp, I'd use something other than EVOO. However, I fewquently pan sear with EVOO because I don't often use the highest heat setting and I add the food before the pan gets too hot.

I never use Extra Virgin for cooking because when heated to a point it becomes bitter and it's too expensive to use when you can't really taste the flavor in cooking. I use a very good quality Extra for dipping, salads and drizzling over a completed dish. Giada DeLaurentis just had a bit on TV saying she never uses extra virgin for cooking for the reasons I just gave. Hey if it's good enough for Giada, it's good enough for me. :LOL:

I use Pure olive oil for cooking. The flavor actually mellows when heated.

I am with DramaQueen on this. The good stuff for serving, the normal for cooking.

Unless, of course, you're Rachel Ray, in which case you would use the good stuff just so you can say the word "E.V.O.O." all the time. :-p

I use the good stuff for cooking and the really good stuff for drizzling.

I do not cook with it if very high heat is needed, though. It's never bitter and the taste comes through for me.

My everyday oil comes from Fairway. Not their private label stuff but their other varietal oils in the picture down at the left.

Unless, of course, you're Rachel Ray, in which case you would use the good stuff just so you can say the word "E.V.O.O." all the time. :-p

You may have a good point there. :rolleyes: I don't know why she uses the EVOO for cooking because when you add all the ingredients to the pan you lose the fine taste of Extra Virgin so you waste money on something you really can't get the full benefit from.

I know that Italians use a good grade for cooking (Pure) and the best quality (Extra Virgin) for dipping, and salads, so that the true flavor of the EV comes through with no interference and that's where the Extra Virgin flavor really shines. :)

MArio Batali, on his TV show Molto Mario and Mario Cooks Italy, makes a point that he uses only EVOO.

I use the good stuff for cooking and the really good stuff for drizzling.

I do not cook with it if very high heat is needed, though. It's never bitter and the taste comes through for me.
I do the exact same thing for the exact same reasons.

My everyday EVOO is from Trader Joes and it is about $3 a bottle. I can taste the flavor come through in my cooking so why bother with yet another bottle of oil when my EVOO will work just fine. And at $3 a bottle I am certainly not wasting any $$$.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom