So confused! Which oil to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Why is there so much condradictory data on the health benefits of cooking oils?

I know that EVO oil is good all around, but when I don't want the rich taste of that oil, I usually use Canola oil. According to articles such as this: Fats 101: How to tell Good Fats and Bad Fats , canola oil is great for you because it contains "good fats": the monounsaturated fats, which lower LDL and increase HDL levels. On the other hand, Coconut oil is bad for you, since it contains saturated fats, which suposedly raise LDL levels.

Ok, so this all makes sense; Canola=good, Coconut=bad. That is, until I pick up a copy of The Good Fat Cookbook. According to this book, the complete OPPOSITE is true...Fran McCullough explains how canola is some of the WORST oil to put into your body, because it is a "polyunsaturated" fat, and coconut oil, a natural fat, is the BEST oil to use, because of numerous health benefts such as promoting heart health and supporting the immune system.

So who am I supposed to believe? Numerous reliable studies show us one side of the story, while others, including the government (who tells us to eat margerine rather than butter), tell us a completely different story.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the plethora of condraditory advice is overwhelming to someone who just wants to know the RIGHT thing to eat.

Look at it this way, how often would you use coconut oil?

I use olive oil on a daily basis for almost everything. I fry with peanut oil and very rarely use canola or vegetable oil.

One thing I've learned about cooking is that there is always contradictory information, and when you have to make a decision, go with what you like. You see this food info that is believed to be "healthy" today, then tomorrow it is going to kill you. My mom taught me to go by color when it comes to a plate, and you'll be fine. I haven't found anything to contradict her. As for the fat, just don't use too much of it, whatever it is. My husband likes Brummell & Brown whipped margarine, made with buttermilk. So it cuts a few calories on his morning toast. I also keep olive oil on hand (and probably use it more than anything), peanut oil for stir frying, and butter in the freezer for certain European dishes that really need it.

Special interest groups, such as the coconut oil people, will try to make their stuff look good at the expense of other products. The cookbook may have been published by a group pushing coconut oil.

For straight info, stick to government organizations such as the FDA or USDA.

...and stick with canola and EVOO

chave982 said:
Why is there so much condradictory data on the health benefits of cooking oils?

I know that EVO oil is good all around, but when I don't want the rich taste of that oil, I usually use Canola oil. According to articles such as this: Fats 101: How to tell Good Fats and Bad Fats , canola oil is great for you because it contains "good fats": the monounsaturated fats, which lower LDL and increase HDL levels. On the other hand, Coconut oil is bad for you, since it contains saturated fats, which suposedly raise LDL levels.

Ok, so this all makes sense; Canola=good, Coconut=bad. That is, until I pick up a copy of The Good Fat Cookbook. According to this book, the complete OPPOSITE is true...Fran McCullough explains how canola is some of the WORST oil to put into your body, because it is a "polyunsaturated" fat, and coconut oil, a natural fat, is the BEST oil to use, because of numerous health benefts such as promoting heart health and supporting the immune system.

So who am I supposed to believe? Numerous reliable studies show us one side of the story, while others, including the government (who tells us to eat margerine rather than butter), tell us a completely different story.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but the plethora of condraditory advice is overwhelming to someone who just wants to know the RIGHT thing to eat.
Who is Fran McCullough and what are her credentials? Anyone can write a book on anything they want - that doesn't make it true. But the other link you have, healthcastle.com, is a site run by registered dieticians - a pretty reliable source, imo.

When I do a google search for something health-related, I always preface it with this: site:*.gov site:*.edu . With this as part of the search terms, the results will contain only links to government and education (university) sites. While the science of food as it related to health will always be evolving, these are the most reliable sites.

One thing to remember about claims that talk about how people have eaten this or that for millennia and they were fine - they were NOT fine, they were often malnourished and in 1800 the average life expectancy was around 30.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
Special interest groups, such as the coconut oil people, will try to make their stuff look good at the expense of other products. The cookbook may have been published by a group pushing coconut oil.

For straight info, stick to government organizations such as the FDA or USDA.

...and stick with canola and EVOO

Well I can understand that...but aren't government organizations the same ones who promote margerine over butter, skim milk over whole milk, and "low fat" anything over full-fat, whole foods? We all know that the claims stating that these foods are healthier than their full-fat counterparts are mostly false.

It seems to me that these organizations' main goal is to convince us that anything low-fat is healthy, and healthy food is always low-fat.

BTW, the author of that book is very reputable and has written some other good books as well using all hard data and reliable sources.

I don't think reducing the amount of fat in the average American's diet is a bad thing. Sensible ways of doing that are still recommended. Evolving science has proven that margerine is not necessarily a healthier alternative to butter. The overall concept, sensibly applied, is still sound.

The science of food and health is constantly evolving. Sometimes it makes sense to just do what you like in moderation.

1) reduce your fats 2) vary your fats 3) pick healthiest fats which seem to be :eek:live oil canola oil peanut oil and possibly corn oil. do keep away from hydrogenated oils (margarine, crisco solid etc...if you need solid shortening, a little lard is probably healthier and the kosher kitchen always had rendered duck and chicken fat available)

There are so many uses for different types of oils that I never really use too much of any specific kind that would alter my health. Unless you have a specific genetic disposition in your family that requires you to be ultra-conscious of what you consume.... Id say the key is to use everything in moderation. Too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you. Just keep it reasonable and variable.

Regardless of the conflicting news (and there will always be conflicting news :glare: ), you can depend on a few things.

Olive oil is healthy but it's a FAT. As fats go, it's the better of most evils but you still have to control the amount you use.

Stay away from the fats that solidify at room temperature. That's pretty universal.

As for cooking, I use regular olive oil to cook and extra virgin olive oil to finish a dish. I feel the extreme fruitiness of good extra virgin olive oil will be lost if heated although I know plenty of people who cook with it. I would no sooner cook with extra virgin olive oil than I would cook with toasted sesame oil - another finishing oil.

Keep your oil choices light (like canola) so you can actually taste the food vs. the oil in which it's cooked.

Bottom line, whatever works for your palate and your general health will dictate which oil is best for you. Frankly, if I'm going to consume fat, I'd want it to be the tastiest fat possible - keeping an eye on the health effects at the same time.

chave982 said:
Well I can understand that...but aren't government organizations the same ones who promote margerine over butter, skim milk over whole milk, and "low fat" anything over full-fat, whole foods? We all know that the claims stating that these foods are healthier than their full-fat counterparts are mostly false.

I think there's little doubt that people eat too much fat in this country, so it's sensible to recommend low-fat alternatives. So the last sentence in the quote above may apply to you, but I don't think it applies to "all" of us.

chave982 said:
It seems to me that these organizations' main goal is to convince us that anything low-fat is healthy, and healthy food is always low-fat.

I don't think that's the goal at all. The goal is to provide low-fat alternatives so people who want to lose weight can enjoy the foods they like, but with less fat.

chave982 said:
BTW, the author of that book is very reputable and has written some other good books as well using all hard data and reliable sources.

She has been an editor and an author - Fran McCullough - I see no mention of any training as a nutrition expert and again, anyone can write whatever they want; that doesn't make it true.

As someone with a serious digestive disease, I've learned a lot about nutrition over the last several years, from my doctors, their nurses, registered dieticians and books. I'm not convinced that Fran McCullough is someone I should listen to regarding nutrition issues.

chave982 said:
Why is this?

Saturated fats (butter, lard) and hydroginated oils (vegetable shortening) are the ones that are solid at room temperature. These are generally considered among the most harmful.

This is probably a dumb question but I've read a lot of posts raving about duck fat being incredible stuff. There was a post about frying up some kind of potatoes with it that sounded so good. Can you buy it already rendered or do I need to kill a duck myself? They don't have them at my local grocery store although I could probably find one at one of the higher end markets. I have never eaten duck and don't know how to cook it so I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time getting the fat out of one properly if I miraculously managed to cook one without burning it up or drying it out or some other ghastly thing. Thanks for your patience.
Terry

I'm surprised a city the size of San Antonio doesn't carry duck! I find frozen duck in the same section of the market where they keep frozen turkeys most of the year. Ask the meat manager.

You can buy duck fat here. However, I'd rather cook a duck and collect the fat.

Fisher's Mom said:
This is probably a dumb question but I've read a lot of posts raving about duck fat being incredible stuff. There was a post about frying up some kind of potatoes with it that sounded so good. Can you buy it already rendered or do I need to kill a duck myself? Terry

a) Look for a Whole Foods or Fresh Market or Wild Oats. If they don't carry it - chances are they will order it for you.

b) go here: Welcome to Dartagnan for some of the best mail order duck products you will ever find. When I really want to splurge, I buy duck from them and am thrilled to find out Fresh Market will carry D'Artagnan products on request!

We do have a Whole Foods and a couple of upscale markets so I'm sure I can find duck. Most of our markets are geared toward Mexican food (the reason I love living here) so we have things like goat and whole pigs' heads at every store. When I lived in Houston, there was a large Asian community so duck was readily available in every market. Anyway, I'll look around and thanks for the help.
Terry

Fisher's Mom said:
This is probably a dumb question but I've read a lot of posts raving about duck fat being incredible stuff. There was a post about frying up some kind of potatoes with it that sounded so good. Can you buy it already rendered or do I need to kill a duck myself? They don't have them at my local grocery store although I could probably find one at one of the higher end markets. I have never eaten duck and don't know how to cook it so I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time getting the fat out of one properly if I miraculously managed to cook one without burning it up or drying it out or some other ghastly thing. Thanks for your patience.
Terry

Here's a recent thread on cooking duck: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/crispy-duck-breast-36866.html

Sounds great :chef: I had rare duck breast like this at a local restaurant not long ago - it was very good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom