So, did you try anything new this week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Each week I try to find something new to try, whether it is something i make at home, or something I order from a restaurant. I like to do this to help expand my culinary knowledge and my taste-buds. I especially do this when I travel to other cities or regions.

Anyway, last night I had Walnut and Goat Cheese Polenta, which I must say was a triumph. Im looking forward to trying to recreate it in my kitchen in the near future.

Did anyone else try anything new this past week ( whether home made or out at a restaurant) ???

During the typhoon Sunday morning I wanted pancakes.
I realized I didn't have any baking powder so searched here and the net
for a replacement. I found I could use 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp baking soda for 1 tsp of baking powder.
I also used a recipe that added a little vinegar to sour the milk.

I ate them but will skip the vinegar next time. Too strong in flavor. They were not as fluffy as I like so subbing cream of tartar doesn't work for me.
Next time no baking powder = no pancakes.

Yesterday, I tried baking a small whole acorn squash like I had done previously with a small pumpkin.

Since the pumpkin turned out just wonderful, and no small pumpkins were available, I figured a small acorn squash would work.

Of course, the flavor was different, but it was deliciously tender. I have half left which I'll probably eat today.

I just stabbed the squash once, just to let off steam, cooked at 350° for an hour, then cut the squash in half, spooned out the seeds, and filled the cavity with garlic butter. I didn't even need to add salt (my nemesis).

I definitely would do this one again.

Nothing I cooked and Totally not my style at all. Out Christmas shopping and became hungry and tried the ham sandwich at Burger King. It was ok. Not that I would go back again tho. I'm not a fast food person.

Yesterday, I tried baking a small whole acorn squash like I had done previously with a small pumpkin.

Since the pumpkin turned out just wonderful, and no small pumpkins were available, I figured a small acorn squash would work.

Of course, the flavor was different, but it was deliciously tender. I have half left which I'll probably eat today.

I just stabbed the squash once, just to let off steam, cooked at 350° for an hour, then cut the squash in half, spooned out the seeds, and filled the cavity with garlic butter. I didn't even need to add salt (my nemesis).

I definitely would do this one again.

I love acorn squash. I like to put butter in it along with some brown sugar. :angel:

More of a technique than a recipe, I had a couple of chicken cordon bleu breasts that I had previously baked and frozen in a vacuum pack. Not wanting to rebake them (dry them out) or nuke them (make them mushy), I put the unopened pack in a pot of water, brought to boil, then simmered until they were warmed through and the cheese was melted. Turned out as good as the first time we had them!

Last edited:
I made kimchi eggrolls (because kimchi goes with everything). Next batch of kimchi is going to use s/thing other than fish sauce for the umami element.

Kayelle made her fantastic Loin lamb chops, with Coleman's mint sauce, but I just got a large jar of wild mushroom mix, and she made the multicolor rice with some of them. It was delicious!

More of a technique than a recipe, I had a couple of chicken cordon bleu breasts that I had previously baked and frozen in a vacuum pack. Not wanting to rebake them (dry them out) or nuke them (make them mushy), I put the unopened pack in a pot of water, brought to boil, then simmered until they were warmed through and the cheese was melted. Turned out as good as the first time we had them!

I've reheated vacuum packed foods in boiling water too, Dawg, it does work great! It's a good way to get extra mileage out of those expensive vacuum seal bags. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom