So my brother doesn't exactly know much about vinegar...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a bottle of balsamic vinegar I paid less than $10. for. It's labeled:

Aged Balsamic Vinegar
Sweet Vinegar of Modena
Acidity 6%
Product of Italy

I bought it in a MA supermarket and there is no listing of ingredients on the label. Knowing the labeling laws, I have to assume ther is nothing in the bottle but Aged Balsamic Vinegar. If it contained brown sugar or caramel color, etc. it would have to be listed.

As it was not expensive, I assume it is a younger balsamic rather than one aged to a sweeter, richer, thicker consistency.

Has my logical mind led me astray? If so, tell me how.

Check the label, does it have “leaf” indicators on it? If so, the leaf rating is established enough that a full ingredient list isn’t needed. With a true aged Balsamic, the first ingredient you look for is “grape must”. But, since vinegar itself is an ingredient, it’s kind of a grey area as to whether vinegar itself needs an ingredient list.

With commercially produced Balsamic, a reputable manufacture will start with a good wine vinegar and add some balsamic to it. A dishonest manufacturer trying to cash in on the Balsamic craze will use cheaper ingredients and add sugars, caramels, etc.

Besides, there are exemptions to the labeling system. If the product has very little to no nutritional value, it doesn’t have to list ingredients, If it is made by a small business with less than a certain amount of income coming from the food product, it doesn’t have to list the ingredients. If the small business as less than a set number of employees, it doesn’t have to list the ingredients. There are several exemptions to listing the ingredients.

Last edited:
That leaf system describes traditional and non-traditional balsamic vinegar. To me that means real balsamic and what people now call balsamic even though it does not qualify by the original definition.

Traditional and non-traditional are a function of manufacturing. Even in traditional manufacturing, the length of time it was aged affected its taste, consistency, and quality. And the leaf system is a measure of judging those factor of taste, consistency, and quality.

Yes a function of manufacturing and what goes into their product.

Just as you can buy sparkling wine that call themselves Champagne, that does not make them Champagne.

True balsamic vinegar is hard to find in your local supermarket.

That leaf system describes traditional and non-traditional balsamic vinegar. To me that means real balsamic and what people now call balsamic even though it does not qualify by the original definition.

That’s because this is America, and “true” Balsamic is an artisanal product of Modena Italy. The same could be said of any “true” product or any region on this planet. A true Philly cheese steak, a true bratwurst, a true cigar, a true Pinot Grigio, etc.

Heck, even here in America with the way times have changed, it’s hard to get “true” products. Look at “true kettle corn”. When was the last time you saw a vendor making that the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
True balsamic does not have any caramels added. It is also not fermented.

The juice from Trebbiano grapes are boiled down until it becomes a dark syrupy consistency. A mother is added and it all goes into oak barrels. As it ages it is generally moved to smaller and smaller barrels. These barrels can be different types of wood other than oak.

Fermentation is the processing of carbohydrates into alcohols OR acids. Vinegar is an acid. The grape "must" gets fermented.

That is exactly my point though keltin.

True balsamic is (from what I have heard) an amazing thing. The stuff that passes for balsamic here in the local supermarkets, while it can be very good or delicious or what have you, is not actually balsamic vinegar. True balsamic can be found though. I am pretty sure stores like Williams and Sonoma carry it as do other specialty food stores.

A true philly cheese steak is what it is. Just because someone is Boston calls their steak and cheese a philly cheese steak, well it isn't. That doesn't mean it won't be good, but it is not a philly cheese steak.

True balsamic is what it is. It is made a very particular way with particular ingredients and aged for a particular amount of time. Anything outside of these guideline, no matter what the manufacturer may call it, is not balsamic vinegar.

Fermentation is the processing of carbohydrates into alcohols OR acids. Vinegar is an acid. The grape "must" gets fermented.
But it does not start out fermented. True balsamic does not contain red wine vinegar that is added to the grapes. The grapes are boiled down. The mother is added. That is when fermentation begins.

Did it have an official Modena seal on it Andy?

I have read of a ton of manufacturers labeling their fake balsamic just the way yours is labeled. Only the true stuff will have the real seal. Of corse some of them have seals, but just not the actual seal.

There are no indications of official seals or leaf system or much else. It's a spartan label.

GB, wouldn't the seal only be present on vinegars produced within a consortium? Balsamic vinegars are produced outside the two major consortia and would not carry any seal but would still be real balsamics. In the same vein as chianti only being produced in the chianti region and within a consortium. Otherwise, it's a Sangiovese.

If someone wants to buy me a bottle of $100 balsamic and send it to me, I'll do a comparative taste test and post a full report.

That is exactly my point though keltin.

True balsamic is (from what I have heard) an amazing thing. The stuff that passes for balsamic here in the local supermarkets, while it can be very good or delicious or what have you, is not actually balsamic vinegar. True balsamic can be found though. I am pretty sure stores like Williams and Sonoma carry it as do other specialty food stores.

A true philly cheese steak is what it is. Just because someone is Boston calls their steak and cheese a philly cheese steak, well it isn't. That doesn't mean it won't be good, but it is not a philly cheese steak.

True balsamic is what it is. It is made a very particular way with particular ingredients and aged for a particular amount of time. Anything outside of these guideline, no matter what the manufacturer may call it, is not balsamic vinegar.

I agree, especially with the bold and red text. That is my point. Just because they didn't make it the artisanal way, doesn't mean it's not good or doesn't carry a "balsamic" flavor.....especially those that are made by combining true balsamic with wine vinegar.

I’m not sure what the point is here though. The question was, how does Balsamic vinegar differ from white vinegar. And the basic answer is, it is sweeter and darker......and that is true of nearly every product made that labels itself Balsamic whether it be motherland artisanal balsamic, or commercially produced non-traditional. And since we are here in America where 98% of the Balsamic vinegar sold is going to be non-traditional, I’m not sure what use it is in pursuing the purists line of thought in what “true” is since we can’t get it, at least not that readily, and not at a price most of us want to pay.

Last edited:
But it does not start out fermented. True balsamic does not contain red wine vinegar that is added to the grapes. The grapes are boiled down. The mother is added. That is when fermentation begins.

I never said it started out as a fermented product. Fermentation is a step in the production. And I know how a “true” Balsamic is made in the artisanal fashion. The copper cooking vessels, the must of Trebbiano grape.....but not limited to the Trebbiano since a true balsamic can also be made from the Ancellotta, Lumbrusco, and Sauvignon grapes. The vinegar mother, the evaporation process, the smaller wooden barrels, often of different varieties of wood. I know all about a “true” balsamic as done in Modena.

I know there is a difference between Modena (traditional) Balsamic and commercially produced Balsamic. But, I really don’t want to type out “Traditional Modena Balsamic” or “Non-Traditional Commercially Produced Balsamic” each time I type "Balsamic".

Last edited:
GB, wouldn't the seal only be present on vinegars produced within a consortium? Balsamic vinegars are produced outside the two major consortia and would not carry any seal but would still be real balsamics. In the same vein as chianti only being produced in the chianti region and within a consortium. Otherwise, it's a Sangiovese.
Yes Andy. My apologies for misleading information. You are correct.

I’m not sure what the point is here though.
...whether it be motherland artisanal balsamic, or commercially produced non-traditional. And since we are here in America where 98% of the Balsamic vinegar sold is going to be non-traditional, I’m not sure what use it is in pursuing the purists line of thought in what “true” is since we can’t get it, at least not that readily, and not at a price most of us want to pay.
The point is that we are discussing balsamic vinegar and just because the mass media and mass food producers of the US have decided to jump on the bandwagon and call any sweet dark vinegar balsamic just to sell their product, well that does not not make it balsamic. Balsamic can be bought here without too much effort and for a price that most can afford. You do not have to pay $100 for an ounce of the real stuff. You can probably get a decent bottle for $30 in you travel outside of your local supermarket.

I guess the point is that this website is about food and something we try to do is educate people. If someone wants to buy a "non traditional" balsamic that isn't really balsamic then that is great and more power to them. They should know what they are getting though. I have 4 or 5 different non traditional balsamics in my cabinet right now and I enjoy using them. I know they are not the real thing though.

Oh gosh guys, I love the in-depth discussions that happen here at DC. The fact is, I had no idea that there was a difference in the 2 types of vinegar and I appreciate everything I learned in this thread today. I promise, I won't go out and mortgage my house to buy a bottle of the best balsamic, and I won't stop using vinegar completely now that I know it's not the best. But now that I know there is some really amazing balsamic out there, I'll be on the look out for the opportunity to try it. Thanks again for all the info!

The point is that we are discussing balsamic vinegar and just because the mass media and mass food producers of the US have decided to jump on the bandwagon and call any sweet dark vinegar balsamic just to sell their product, well that does not not make it balsamic. Balsamic can be bought here without too much effort and for a price that most can afford. You do not have to pay $100 for an ounce of the real stuff. You can probably get a decent bottle for $30 in you travel outside of your local supermarket.

I guess the point is that this website is about food and something we try to do is educate people. If someone wants to buy a "non traditional" balsamic that isn't really balsamic then that is great and more power to them. They should know what they are getting though. I have 4 or 5 different non traditional balsamics in my cabinet right now and I enjoy using them. I know they are not the real thing though.

True, I see your point. While some of the differences are strictly about manufacturing methods, it must be considered that manufacturing methods can impact flavor. I was thinking on my ride home about BBQ. True BBQ ribs are done low and slow in a smoker, but you can easily do them in the oven. Cover both in sauce, and they look the same, and both are fall of the bone tender……but oven ribs don’t have that little difference of a smoke ring and that smokey flavor.

In some cases, the a quicker methodology doesn’t make that much of a difference, look at how milk is gathered today compared to milk of yesterday. The methodology of collecting milk has changed and gotten much quicker……does that mean it’s not true milk though? It’s an interesting question.

My FIL was stationed in Italy, and he had true balsamic vinegar, and he described it as a dessert sauce that was drizzled over a dessert dish. He said it was sweet and he couldn’t figure out why “those crazy Italians called it vinegar”. I suppose he had the really old and aged stuff.

Even if they sold true Balsamic at every corner store here (but how could little Modena supply that much product in the artisanal fashion), I would still prefer an immature 2 leaf version that had a noticeable vinegar bite to it. I’m not much for sweets and dessert sauces, so I’d never have much use for anything beyond 2 leaf anyway.

The first Balsamic I ever had was at a friend’s place where they served it plain over salad. It was from Modena, and I’d describe it as a 2 leaf vinegar. It was sweet and had a nice vinegar twang. Years later, and this could be because it’s been so long and I don’t have a side-by-side comparison, but the Balsamics I’m buying today don’t say they are from Modena, but they taste just as good as that one I had back then, and that one back then was certainly a “true” balsamic.

Back
Top Bottom