Something to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcmann05

Assistant Cook
Hey all, i'm new to the forum.

I am making my own version of another recipe. I was wondering and this may be a stupid question to some of you more "seasoned" cooks. ;-)

Is there anything to add to chicken broth to make it creamier without using a cream of ____ soup?? Milk? Cheese? Mixture??

TIA
Ashley

Ashley,
It totally depends on what your recipe is. Chicken broth is used in soup, sauces, pasta dishes, rice, just about everything, and there are just as many ways to change it up/make it "creamier".

If you can be a little more specific, I am sure we can help!

Welcome to DC by the way!

I have just plain chicken broth with a mixture of spices. Chicken has cooked in the crock pot in it all day and I just added chunks of potatoes. I want it to be creamier than just broth soup. I don't know if this helps or not. I want it to be as if I added cream of something soup witout adding a particular one. Normally, I would add a couple cans of cream of mushroom but husband doesn't eat mushrooms. I want it to be consistency of one of the cream of something soups.

Hi, Ashley, welcome to DC. Take a masher or other tool to disintegrate a few of your potatoes. Any starch will thicken the soup. For creamy, or velvety, it takes fat. Most any fat will do, even if it's just a drizzle of olive oil to finish the bowl. And, there are more than a dozen different canned soup concentrates, without mushrooms, you can use to fortify your pot creations. Cream soups, by definition though, require cream.

You can puree some of the potatoes and that will thicken the soup.

You can also make a white sauce for the broth. Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter and stir in a couple of tablespoons of flour. Cook over low heat, stirring, for several minutes. Then whisk in a cup or two of milk to make a white sauce (bechamel sauce). Stir that into the soup.

I made the mistake of adding whole wheat flour thinking it would it would do the trick. Instead it's made it super gritty and I might have to pitch the whole thing. I should have known better and added regular flour.

If you mix softened butter with equal amounts of flour you can add the resulting mixture a bit at a time into the soup until the desired consistency is reached.

I made the mistake of adding whole wheat flour thinking it would it would do the trick. Instead it's made it super gritty and I might have to pitch the whole thing. I should have known better and added regular flour.

Depending on how much flower you put in (and whole wheat is grittier than white), you can add some butter and boil the whole thing, stirring. This will have to be on the stove as a crockpot won't get hot enough. You will probably want to strain your veggies out too so they don't get too mushy.

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate the input! I am already enjoying this forum! :)

Welcome to the forum mcmann! I see you already got some very good advice, and remember there's no such thing as a stupid question here!

For the future, get yourself a small box of "potato buds" instant mashed potatoes. They're not so good as a sub for real mashed potatoes, but they do a bang up job sprinkled into your kind of dish as a "thickener creamy kind of thing" in a crock pot. I use it as a thickener for my crock pot creations all the time.

Welcome to the forum mcmann! I see you already got some very good advice, and remember there's no such thing as a stupid question here!

For the future, get yourself a small box of "potato buds" instant mashed potatoes. They're not so good as a sub for real mashed potatoes, but they do a bang up job sprinkled into your kind of dish as a "thickener creamy kind of thing" in a crock pot. I use it as a thickener for my crock pot creations all the time.

Thank You.

Some has mentioned that to me before and I completely forgot that until you said it. I will definitely have to get a box.

Hey all, i'm new to the forum.

I am making my own version of another recipe. I was wondering and this may be a stupid question to some of you more "seasoned" cooks. ;-)

Is there anything to add to chicken broth to make it creamier without using a cream of ____ soup?? Milk? Cheese? Mixture??

TIA
Ashley

What are you using the stock for?? Why do you want to thicken it cause there are various ways depending on its purpose... ;);)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom