Sourdough starters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PrincessFiona60 said:
No!! Dry measure is fine.

Next time you stir it down, use a white board marker to mark the top of your starter on the outside of the container. Then you can check if it is doubling itself between feedings.

My Audrey II is still going strong, I make a sourdough loaf about every three days.

What does it mean if the starter doesn't double in size? Will my leaving it out cause it to get mildew? I live in Spokane, WA so it's not humid here

If your starter doubles, it has enough strength in it's structure to rise, hold it's shape and form a loaf.

PrincessFiona60 said:
If your starter doubles, it has enough strength in it's structure to rise, hold it's shape and form a loaf.

Thank you for the info. Sad to say, I'm throwing out my starter and back to the drawing board! I read to add some yeast to starter and I think that actually sabotaged my project :( I won't do that again!

FrankZ said:
You shouldn't need to add yeast or sugar.

Have a look at this site.

Thank you for this awesome site! I'm going to read all the listed steps before I attempt this again. I guess I'm not the only one who has stressed over their starter :eek:

I've had the worst time trying to make starter. I've followed the directions given in several recipes and just get ... nothing. No life. Someone told me it was because of our altitude ... but we're only at 1,200 feet so that doesn't seem right. I've been thinking of just buying some ... saw some packaged starter at Raley's. Does anyone know if the packaged stuff is any good?

GiddyUpGo said:
I've had the worst time trying to make starter. I've followed the directions given in several recipes and just get ... nothing. No life. Someone told me it was because of our altitude ... but we're only at 1,200 feet so that doesn't seem right. I've been thinking of just buying some ... saw some packaged starter at Raley's. Does anyone know if the packaged stuff is any good?

I too am having to start over with my starter. But mine is non gluten. What I've learned is to not measure but to weigh the measurements so that the ratio is more accurate. I did get it to respond with the bubbling to some degree, but not enough. I don't recommend using regular yeast to help the starter. I've read using 2 leaves of red cabbage will get wild yeast going in starter. I will post link in a bit for you to read if you want.

Tamileen said:
I too am having to start over with my starter. But mine is non gluten. What I've learned is to not measure but to weigh the measurements so that the ratio is more accurate. I did get it to respond with the bubbling to some degree, but not enough. I don't recommend using regular yeast to help the starter. I've read using 2 leaves of red cabbage will get wild yeast going in starter. I will post link in a bit for you to read if you want.

http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/2010/10/sourdough-starter-gluten-free/

FrankZ, I believe all of the whole grains (rye, bran, whole wheat, etc.) carry enough of the "beasties" to get a good starter to bubbling. :doh::w00t2:

Although I don't use a Hepa filter, one of the major reasons I use a particular packaged yeast (after a lot of experimenting) is I want to produce a consistent product and not leave the wild yeasts, whether in the air or on the grain, to chance. But that's me. And neither do I want to have to fuss with a starter so far in advance. Three days is about as far ahead as I care to plan or think about! :LOL:

I have never had any success making a sourdough starter without adding yeast. I thought that maybe it was because I use whole grain flours. I'll have to give the rye flour a try.

I wonder if it makes a difference that I'm in Canada.

I have never had any success making a sourdough starter without adding yeast. I thought that maybe it was because I use whole grain flours. I'll have to give the rye flour a try.

I wonder if it makes a difference that I'm in Canada.

Yeah, those Canadian Wild yeasts are too feral...:ROFLMAO: Hard to make them behave...:angel:

Sourdough is created by capturing yeast from the atmosphere. Ther are no yeast in your flour. Now, where I live it's almost impossible to capture wild yeast with a flour and water mixture, so what I do is buy a bunch of organic grspes. That white film on the grapes is wild yeast. Mix up your flour and water, add some GENTLY crushed grapes, and let it sit on the counter covered with cheesecloth, feeding it with 2 Tbs flour and 2 Tbs water every day for three days, until you start getting a really good simmer of bubbles, which means the yeast is multiplying. Remove the grapes, add 2 Tbs flour, 2 Tbs water, seal the container and place it in the refrigerator. Now until you're ready to use it, take it out once a week, discard half of the mixture, feed it, and put it back into the refrigerator.

Last edited:
Sourdough is created by capturing yeast from the atmosphere. Ther are no yeast in your flour.

The yeasts aren't really pulled out of the air. They do exist on the flour. White flour has a low count, but it is there. Going to a whole wheat (or rye) hedges your bet.

Ol' Grumpy was started in Feburary, in a house with a HEPA filter and kept in a plastic tub with lid. There really was very little chance for it to pick up yeasts floating in the air. If there was this much yeast floating around it would be, visibly, growing everywhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom