Spaghetti Spice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chefmaster789

Washing Up
I'm a big fan of Pasta and Spaghetti so what I want to know is, What spices and sauces out there make a really good dish of Spaghetti? Please post your suggestion I want to make my dishes a bit more of intrest!

When I'm making my Spaghetti I use the following:

1 can contadina tomato paste w/ italian seasonings
-worcestershire sauce
-white vinegar

My Basic Tomato Sauce

Olive oil
Fresh garlic - chopped fine
Onion - chopped fine
Fresh basil - chopped fine
Fresh oregano - chopped fine
Fresh parsley - chopped fine
Ground hot pepper flakes
Salt
Ground black pepper
Pinch sugar
28 oz. can Crushed or whole tomatoes (chopped)
6 oz. can Tomato paste
Burgundy wine
Water

Whole fresh basil leaves
Whole fresh oregano leaves
Whole fresh parsley leaves
ABOVE WHOLE HERB LEAVES ADDED NEAR END OF COOKING

Heat pot over medium heat then add olive oil. Add garlic and onion and cook over low heat just to softened them (do not brown or they become bitter). Add tomato paste and cook slightly. Add enough wine and stir till you reach a smooth thick consistency. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, all chopped herbs (except whole leaves) and spices. Add 1- 28 oz. can of water. Stir well and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour. Taste and correct seasoning during cooking if needed. Add additional water and wine if needed, to thin to desired consistency. Add whole leaves about 15 minutes before done cooking to add a "fresh, bright" herb flavor.

Sauce Additions:

Chuck steak - brown in pot. Remove follow above directions. Lower to simmer and add the meat. Simmer till meat is tender.
Meatballs
Sausage
Braciole

Add any or all of the above meats to sauce and simmer.

MEATLESS SAUCE ADDITIONS - Green olives, capers and anchovies may be added to the sauce and simmer till olives are tender and mellow in flavor.

spices

this is what i usually put in mine:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 1/2 cups water

fideo-seco-P.jpg

My favorite ingredients: mushrooms, garlic, cream and parsley
Its more central european than italian :)

Greetings from Bavaria / Germany
Timo

I like oregano, rosemary, fennel seed, and crushed red pepper flakes

Your question is a bit too vague, as there are too many sauce variations to choose from. There are the meat sauces known as Bolognese, there are ragus, Alfredo, oil and herb dressings, cream sauces, veloute's, brown butter sauces, etc.

If you are looking for something resembling Prego, or Ragu brand pasta sauce, start with tomato sauce and tomato paste. The herbs and spices can then include any or all of the following;
Oregano
Sweet Basil
Rosemary
Thyme
Marjoram
Fennel
Black Pepper (optional)
Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Salt
Garlic
Onion
a little bit of sugar or brown sugar (optional)
Sage (optional)

The primary flavors that most American Spagheti Sauces contain are Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, and Onion. after that, you can add everything from cottage cheese, to nutmeg, depending on the flavor profil you are trying to get. I recomend starting with the 5 flavors first mentioned in this paragraph. expand from there. And remember the two cardinal rules of sauces:

1. add a little herb or spice at a time, let cook for 15 mintues or so, then taste. Correct from there. You can always add more, but once it's in the sauce, you can't remove it. Do not overpower with too much herbs or spices.

2. Patience is required. Cook over low heat to avoid scorching the natural sugars in the sauce, and to allow the flavors time to permeate the sauce.

The herbs and spices I provided are my choices for the style of tomato sauce I prefer. I also use chunky tomato sauce with lots of veggie chunks comprized of green and sweet peppers, onions, and musghrooms. I love big chunks of ground beef in my sauce as well. You might like yours different. I can't tell you how to make the best sauce. Only you can create your favorit, based on what you like.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

cottage cheese?

Oh yeh! It makes it all gooey as the cheese curds melt and makes it taste like lasagna.:chef: Of course you can use cheese to flavor pasta sauce. Think grated Parmisano Regiano, or a good Asiago, or even think of the flavor a great aged cheddar can give to a good tomato sauce. Cheese is not only a textural thing, but adds great flavor and can be thought of as a flavoring agent, just like herbs, spices, and aromatics.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh yeh! It makes it all gooey as the cheese curds melt and makes it taste like lasagna.:chef: Of course you can use cheese to flavor pasta sauce. Think grated Parmisano Regiano, or a good Asiago, or even think of the flavor a great aged cheddar can give to a good tomato sauce. Cheese is not only a textural thing, but adds great flavor and can be thought of as a flavoring agent, just like herbs, spices, and aromatics.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
yikes!! none of my italians auties would ever put cottage cheese in the gravy!

yikes!! none of my italians auties would ever put cottage cheese in the gravy!

I'm not Italian. But I am a very creative mutt.:chef::ROFLMAO: And you know the advantage of being a mutt? It gives you many more options than being a purebred. I can draw from a world full of ideas to create my own fusion spins on great food. For instance, I bet none of your Italian Aunties would have combined Cudaghi Sausage and ground beef, along with oregano, basil, egg, milk, salt, pepper, and just a touch of breadcrumbs to make the amazing meatballs that I make. And I can say their amazing because that's how others have described them to me.;) And if you think that that's an odd combination, how about meatballs made from ground chicken, chopped celery and onion, garlic, and chinese 5-spice, over lo-mein noodles with a pineapple sweet and sour sauce.

Yup, I enjoy being a mutt.

I'm not Italian. But I am a very creative mutt.:chef::ROFLMAO: And you know the advantage of being a mutt? It gives you many more options than being a purebred. I can draw from a world full of ideas to create my own fusion spins on great food. For instance, I bet none of your Italian Aunties would have combined Cudaghi Sausage and ground beef, along with oregano, basil, egg, milk, salt, pepper, and just a touch of breadcrumbs to make the amazing meatballs that I make. And I can say their amazing because that's how others have described them to me.;) And if you think that that's an odd combination, how about meatballs made from ground chicken, chopped celery and onion, garlic, and chinese 5-spice, over lo-mein noodles with a pineapple sweet and sour sauce.

Yup, I enjoy being a mutt.

they all sound interesting and different for sure.

this is what i usually put in mine:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 1/2 cups water

fideo-seco-P.jpg

Mexican Spaghetti???

Your question is a bit too vague, as there are too many sauce variations to choose from. There are the meat sauces known as Bolognese, there are ragus, Alfredo, oil and herb dressings, cream sauces, veloute's, brown butter sauces, etc.

If you are looking for something resembling Prego, or Ragu brand pasta sauce, start with tomato sauce and tomato paste. The herbs and spices can then include any or all of the following;
Oregano
Sweet Basil
Rosemary
Thyme
Marjoram
Fennel
Black Pepper (optional)
Cayenne Pepper (optional)
Salt
Garlic
Onion
a little bit of sugar or brown sugar (optional)
Sage (optional)

The primary flavors that most American Spagheti Sauces contain are Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic, and Onion. after that, you can add everything from cottage cheese, to nutmeg, depending on the flavor profil you are trying to get. I recomend starting with the 5 flavors first mentioned in this paragraph. expand from there. And remember the two cardinal rules of sauces:

1. add a little herb or spice at a time, let cook for 15 mintues or so, then taste. Correct from there. You can always add more, but once it's in the sauce, you can't remove it. Do not overpower with too much herbs or spices.

2. Patience is required. Cook over low heat to avoid scorching the natural sugars in the sauce, and to allow the flavors time to permeate the sauce.

The herbs and spices I provided are my choices for the style of tomato sauce I prefer. I also use chunky tomato sauce with lots of veggie chunks comprized of green and sweet peppers, onions, and musghrooms. I love big chunks of ground beef in my sauce as well. You might like yours different. I can't tell you how to make the best sauce. Only you can create your favorit, based on what you like.

Sage and nugmeg??????:sick:

they all sound interesting and different for sure.

MsMofet, the use of cottage cheese is a poor man's substitute for ricotta, which is the cheese of choice used in making lasagna. While cottage cheese has a similar appearance to ricotta, any similarity ends there. The flavor of ricotta is superior in every way, as you already know!

And I believe you are right when it comes to not finding it in any normal Italian Spaghetti recipe. Just for curiosity, I consulted with a life-long friend, M. Cappitelli, a Chicago-Italian cook and she had never heard of such a thing, but she had seen it as an ingredient in spaghetti pesto sauce, and in baked spaghetti - strictly American inventions.

The basic ingredients for my tomato sauce are garlic, salt, fresh grated pepper and fresh basil.

and then, there is Cincinnati Chili... (the Mexican version reminded me)

Back
Top Bottom