Special dinner...when?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Just wondering if you folks do a special meal on New Year's Eve or on New Years Day? I'm thinking I'll do a surf and turf tonight. But can't decide if I want to do that or save it for tomorrow.

New Years Eve 'dinner' is different for us. We do appetizers and champagne. Nothing special for New Years Day. Just dinner.

Hmmm..I kind of like that idea. Maybe canapes tonight and a nice dinner tomorrow.

I make a big dinner whenever the mood hits me. It doesn't matter if it's a holiday or not. Being single I can do that. But I try to be in one of those moods the Eve rather than NY Day.

Last edited:
It's been traditional in our family to have pork on New Year's day. I was going to make breaded pork chops but need to use up all the foods I've shoved into our daughter's fridge. Looks like tomorrow's pork will be the leftover ham when I make my Mom's Ham and Bean soup.

Tonight I will make a small pizza and have some other odds and ends. Tomorrow the plan is stuffed shells, a salad and a small garlic pizza to use up the dough I made for tonight's pizza.

Not a cookie in the house, not even a crumb! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The 3rd starts my standard routine of salad and meat or meat and salad, the eating season draws to a close, very sad!

This is the first year in approx. 40 years we are not having a New Year's Day open house for friends/ family. During some peak years, esp when Jr was a teenager and he invited friends, we would make a whole turkey and ham the day before to carve up for sandwiches, plus the dining room table and buffet would be over-loaded with dishes we spent the week preparing between Christmas and New Years. Some people brought dishes too. Surprisingly very few leftovers.

This year we decided not to do this as we just hosted Thanksgiving and the in town and out of town cousins had get togethers up to the weekend.

We are making a pot of sloppy joes kept warm in a crockt pot and chips, crackers cheese veggie stix and dips. There's almost a whole can of pineapple rings open and left from last night. I'm going to ask if Dx will throw together an upside down cake after she's had a 2nd cup of coffee. We are pretty sure there will be a couple friends just drop by, more to watch college bowl games than party.

Nothing much New Years Eve. Today is prime rib with the family.
I didn't eat anything last night. I should have, though. Went to a party at a friends house who is a big Scotch fan and has many bottles of Premium single malt on hand. I think you can guess the outcome this morning....

Nothing much New Years Eve. Today is prime rib with the family.
I didn't eat anything last night. I should have, though. Went to a party at a friends house who is a big Scotch fan and has many bottles of Premium single malt on hand. I think you can guess the outcome this morning....

I also went out with my wife on New Years eve. We haven't been out on new years as long as I can remember.

I suffered all day long yesterday. I am still a bit woozy today.
As you can guess, I cooked nothing either day.
But I will today. I need a good meal today.

Definitely New Years Eve dinner. This year my husband was away so I took my 15 year old son out for dinner to a restaurant and then we joined up with friends who were having a house party, to see the New Year in. NY day was a pretty lazy 'eat what you can find' day. Plenty of left overs that needed clearing. :)

Back
Top Bottom