Spice Blends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
What are some of your favorite spice blends that come already mixed?

I received a Christmas present from my Sister last year of Penzy spices.I am a big fan now and they will be sent out as Christmas gifts this year by me.

I received this gift box
International Salt Free (4 Jar) - Penzeys Spices

and this one

Grill and Broil Mini Gift Box - Penzeys Spices

I have used them all year and thought of her many times.I have not been disappointed with any of them and will refill when enpty.One of my favorite presents!

I also Like "Spike" for chicken and pork.it reminds me of Indian spices but just a hint.Great on chicken and pork.

Spices - Spike Seasoning By Modern Products, 3 Oz, Item #122152

there was a recall recently on this spice so check it out if you have some and get a new jar.the stuff on the shelves should be fine from a supermarket by now.

I also Like McCormicks Grill Mates spices.
Montreal steak
Spicy montreal steak
Montreal Chicken
BBQ

I love those four.

Products | Grill Mates&reg | Master the Flame, Master the Flavor

I mix my own spices about half the time but the above are my "Go To" flavors.

What's in your cabinet?

I have recently fallen for Penzy's, will be getting some of my own. It's nice to know they have salt-free.

The Grillmates! I get a huge Montreal steak, a regular size Spicy Montreal steak and 2 salt free Montreal Chicken and mix them all together for my steak/chicken seasoning.

For general spicing, I make my own Emeril's Essence with only 1/4th the salt.

Mrs. Dash, the original.

I mix equal parts Montreal chicken and Montreal steak for a prime rib rub.

I am going to try Mrs. Dash now.

Do you eat dairy?

Mrs. Dash in cottage cheese, left in fridge so it can rehydrate the spices, is Divine!

I try to cut salt out of most foods, so i can salt to my taste. Once I'm done cooking, everyone else can have the salt shaker if they want more.

I love Mrs. Dash Blends also, especially their Garlic and Herb.
For Penzey's spices: Their Fines Herbes and Herbes de Provence are excellent (both are salt-free). I also like their Garam Masala (salt-free), and Country French Vinaigrette mix.

I love Mrs. Dash Blends also, especially their Garlic and Herb.
For Penzey's spices: Their Fines Herbes and Herbes de Provence are excellent (both are salt-free). I also like their Garam Masala (salt-free), and Country French Vinaigrette mix.

Okay, I'm definitely going to Penzy's. I ran out of Fines Herbes and Herbes de Provence and couldn't find them here. I bought them in Denver before.

I've never tried the other Mrs. Dash blends...I'll have to take a look.

Thanks for the insight on Penzy's. My new supervisor has Penzy's season salt in the office, it is quite tasty!

Okay, I'm definitely going to Penzy's. I ran out of Fines Herbes and Herbes de Provence and couldn't find them here. I bought them in Denver before.

I've never tried the other Mrs. Dash blends...I'll have to take a look.

Thanks for the insight on Penzy's. My new supervisor has Penzy's season salt in the office, it is quite tasty!

Thanks for the recommendation of their Seasoned Salt - I'll have to check it out. Have you tried their Smoked Paprika? It's great!

Thanks for the recommendation of their Seasoned Salt - I'll have to check it out. Have you tried their Smoked Paprika? It's great!

I got my smoked paprika from Costco...since it turns out I love it, I will be looking for other brands and giving them a try. No sense in ordering from Penzy's unless I have a full list.:LOL:

I got my smoked paprika from Costco...since it turns out I love it, I will be looking for other brands and giving them a try. No sense in ordering from Penzy's unless I have a full list.:LOL:

Right on!
Hey, by the way, I add Mrs. Dash to cottage cheese also - I agree - it tastes great!

You don't want to know how long ago I discovered Mrs. Dash...and adding it to cottage cheese!:ROFLMAO:

Of course I want to know!!! How long?! I discovered Mrs. Dash spices eons ago, but only started using them in cottage cheese around a year ago.

Also, I found a great tip online about how to get lots of the salt out of the cottage cheese. (I've always found it too salty and also too wet - I used to buy pot cheese in NY and FL, which is much drier and has very little salt, but can't find it here in NC). Anyway, now I drain the cottage cheese through a mesh strainer. You do lose some volume, but it's worth it to me - it tastes so much better.

Of course I want to know!!! How long?! I discovered Mrs. Dash spices eons ago, but only started using them in cottage cheese around a year ago.

Also, I found a great tip online about how to get lots of the salt out of the cottage cheese. (I've always found it too salty and also too wet - I used to buy pot cheese in NY and FL, which is much drier and has very little salt, but can't find it here in NC). Anyway, now I drain the cottage cheese through a mesh strainer. You do lose some volume, but it's worth it to me - it tastes so much better.

About 25 years ago! I found a recipe for a cottage cheese dip and it added season salt. I had the Mrs. Dash and made a second dip with it. Anyway, it was the first year Mrs. Dash hit the market.

Lowrey's Seasoned Salt. Cheap versions just don't have that right mix. I like it for my sauted summer squash with onions, pimentos and garlic.

I like make my own blend I use garlic powder, salt, pepper, and parsley. It is good on anything chicken, potatoes, steak and pasta are my favorite.

Speaking of seasonings...
I'm having some trouble finding smoked salt locally. I've checked my local Vons and Ralphs and Albertsons. I guess I'll order some online. They've also stopped selling Pappy's Choice Original Seasoning at stores around here, so I have to order that on the net too.

Last edited:
My two grocery store favorites are Lawry's and Cavendar's Greek seasoning. I do an annual foray to Madison (or, if that isn't possible, to the catalog!) for Penzey's and always try something new. My latest "finds" with them have been for salads: Sicilian salad blend, green goddess, and creamy peppercorn. The latter two I mix with mayo and either buttermilk or yogurt, the Sicilian I just shake on a salad made with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice -- or, it is really good on pasta that's been tossed with some olive oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom