Spices (Whole vs Ground up) Measurements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Possibly a stupid question.

If a recipe calls for spice blend
The measurements are given in whole spices
It then instructs you to toast them in a dry pan and grind them up.

My question is, if I only have some of the spices already ground up, will it be more, the same or less than its whole spice counter-part.

Coriander
Cumin

I know it will differ per spice due to size and shape, I guess my question, in general, is it usually more, the same or less ?

Thanks Andy, that article kinda confirms both thoughts that were going through my mind.
Initially, I assumed that a whole spice like coriander, due to its size and roundness would not fill up a tsp, Tbs. or whatever as efficiently as aa ground spice.

But then, after grinding up some spices, a saw how fluffy it was ( when compared to some of the more compact round spices you get at the market). Thats when I started questioning my first theory.

Then, obviosuly, you have too consider how dense or hollow a seed like that may be, which would also affect the final measurement.

Probably over thinking it too much, but at least the article covered what was going through my mind, and since Im constantly tasting and adjusting, doesn't really affect there final product.

I ground up whole cumin seeds, and I use the same measurement. The problem is I really really like cumin in things, so I end up adding more while it is cooking. There is never enough cumin in my dishes.

It would be my assumption that the ground spices will occupy less space that the whole spices. I would say that the conversion rate would differ according to the spice.

Here's an article on the topic. https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/spice-conversion-whole-to-ground-article

Good article.

One little quibble, because I can't help it.

Cardamom: 10 pods ≈ 1 teaspoon whole pods ≈ ½ teaspoon seeds ≈ scant ½ teaspoon ground

The cardamom pods I have won't fit 10 whole pods into a teaspoon, more like one or one and a half in a teaspoon. Maybe the seeds of two or two and a half pods in 1 teaspoon. I dunno. I can't imagine trying to measure 1 teaspoon of whole cardamom pods.

I agree, TL, 10 whole cardamom pods would definitely be more than a teaspoon!

And like you said, Larry, the coriander will be less when ground, since they are somewhat hollow, plus there's space between the seeds. And you pointed out another thing to consider - the spices fluff up, which is something I notice when making the coriander/cumin mix, when I seem to get more than the two spices I start with. However, think about scoop and level with flour, compared to fluffing it up in the cup, then leveling - scoop and level compacts it, which is what we usually do with spices, when measuring.

In general, I dont usually think about it. In most cases, the slight difference doesnt matter much, and if I'm uncertain, l'll stat with less, and tweak it a little as the cooking process goes on. I almost always have both the whole and ground spice , and if I dont, I just grind it up myself.

But today I was following a recipe that gave the whole spice measurement , and then the ground up spice measurement in parenthesis. The ground up measurement was more than the whole spice. That's what got me thinking and questioning. ( the instructions were to toast then grind up, but gave amount so you knew what to start with).

Anyway, it led to a good article and good discussion so I consider it a win.

***On a low Notte, the difference wouldn't have helped. The dish wasn't that good, or at least not as expected***

The problem is I really really like cumin in things, so I end up adding more while it is cooking. There is never enough cumin in my dishes.

I agree %100, although my wife doesn't.
She complains about the way it smells, yet loves every dish I make with it.

( I always sneak in a a few shakes when she's not looking). :angel:

This is a very good question, larry. I've been wondering the same thing recently as I've been trying to make recipes as exactly as possible from the new ATK cookbook.

From watching the shows along with reading the book, I realized that they measure things after being ground, not before.

I make a marinade for pork chops that has a bunch of ground spices, and I have always measured the spices whole before grinding. The last time that I made it, I measured both before and after, and there was a noticable difference in amounts. Maybe a quarter teaspoon or more in most cases.

I should post the marinade recipe. It's really good. It might even be able to to used with tofu
;>)

bliss, my wife is a cumin lover as well. I can't put enough in my chilli, or in a chickpea salad that I make for her.

I cook with spices almost every day, Larry, and, to be honest, I don´t think 1/4 tsp is really going to make any difference, ground, whole or whatever, especially with coriander and cumin. MAYBE with cardamom, cloves, asafoetida, nutmeg or cinnamon.
Perhaps the most important thing is whether you´d notice the difference in flavour.

A quarter teaspoon certainly can make a difference.

I recently made jalapeno cornbread following a recipe that only cally for 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper.

I grew and dried some last summer, so I ground some and added it, probably putting in a quarter teaspoon extra. I really liked the extra heat, but not everyone did.

A quarter teaspoon certainly can make a difference.

I recently made jalapeno cornbread following a recipe that only cally for 1/4 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper.

I grew and dried some last summer, so I ground some and added it, probably putting in a quarter teaspoon extra. I really liked the extra heat, but not everyone did.

Should have been more precise in my answer; with coriander and cumin, specifically, the difference would probably be minimal.
With hot pepper, yes. And with stronger spices (as I mentioned above) yes.

Back
Top Bottom