Splitting...sprouting red beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikecox

Assistant Cook
I just put some red beans to soak and most of the are splitting open, like they are about to sprout. :ohmy: I've haven't seen this with other bean I soaked. Is this a bad sign. I got them from an "open bin" at whole foods, could they be too old, or???

Attachments

• Red beans.jpg
    Red beans.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited by a moderator:
I would cook 'em up and see what happens. I think they should be OK, I don't think they would be unsafe to eat. Usually old beans just sit there and don't do anything, including splitting their skins. They just stay hard and intact. Yours might be more "young" beans. Whole Foods is pretty good about rotating their stock, AFAIK.

Last edited:
I agree, you likely have young beans, not old. According to the google search I just did, it seems to be pretty common with red beans. I'd cook them up and try them. Even if they are getting ready to sprout, cooked sprouted beans are safe, just not most raw ones.

Even old beans can sprout easily.

After my Mom died, I found a bag of beans in the cabinet that had been there for years. I don't like red beans, so I just stuck a few in a pot with soil and watered them.

I really didn't expect anything to happen, but all the beans sprouted in just a few days.

Back
Top Bottom