Steaming Red bell peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're get soft enough to cut with a fork. Of course, you can eat them raw, or cut them up and saute them, or throw them in just about any soup or stew or casserole.

Rather than steaming, I think they're better roasted. You can peel them once they're well done and blackened on the outside it you want (put them in a sealed baggie for about 10 minutes, then peel when cooled a bit).

However, I often just cut them in large pieces, coat with a bit of olive oil, and grill them until well done and a little blackened. No need to peel. Yum!

Thanks Scotch, What I'm planing on doing is hollowing out a Bell pepper and filling the hollowed bell peppers with a meat mixture I've been using for my Enchiladas!

Sounds good. I'd put them in a casserole and add some spicy tomato sauce of some sort (tomatoes sauce, sauteed onions, garlic, maybe some oregano, S&P) and bake. You can add rice to the meat mixture or serve the stuffed peppers over rice -- or both.

Sounds good. I'd put them in a casserole and add some spicy tomato sauce of some sort (tomatoes sauce, sauteed onions, garlic, maybe some oregano, S&P) and bake. You can add rice to the meat mixture or serve the stuffed peppers over rice -- or both.
Do I cook the rice first? then add it to the casarol?

Well my meat mixture has this

1.3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2.1 Pound Ground Lamb
3.One tube of Chorizo
4.3 Cloves of garlic minced
5.A little Cherry "extract" about a teaspoon
6.1/3 cup of Worcestershire sauce "thicken kind"
7.2/3 cups of white onions Finally chopped

Ok what you do is get your dutch oven set the stove to medium

poor 3 table spoons of eevo into the dutch oven, Let heat up.

Throw in your onions and garlic saute them until white/oblike (sp on the spelling)

Then throw in the ground lamb & chorizo ( sp on chorizo )

Then throw the rest of the ingredients as you see on the list.

That's my Meat Mixture for my stuffed red pepper.

Thanks Scotch, What I'm planing on doing is hollowing out a Bell pepper and filling the hollowed bell peppers with a meat mixture I've been using for my Enchiladas!

You can blanch your cleaned peppers in a pot of boiling water and then let them dry upside down on a paper towel, but it isn't really necessary. The pepper will be cooked by the time your filling is bubbling.

You can do it either way, BUT if you add raw rice, you need to have enough liquid to cook the rice and should do it in a covered container. If the rice is cooked first, just mix it in.

Ok can you explain to me how I can make this? I know you say to use oregano, but I want to make them a stuffed pepper....

Thanks in an advance bro!

Trim your peppers, cutting off the tops and removing the seeds and white "pith" from the insides as best you can, leaving the pepper whole (except for the tops).

Fill the peppers with your stuffing of choice -- perhaps a mixture of meat, onions, garlic, cooked rice, and spices.

Arrange the filled peppers in a casserole just big though to hold them standing up. (This assumes you cut the tops off -- you can also cut the peppers in half lengthwise, fill them, and then lay them in the casserole dish.)

Make a sauce of canned tomatoes or tomato sauce, more sauteed onions, garlic, S&P, and a little oregano, basil, etc.

Pour the sauce over the peppers.

Cover and bake 1 hour at 350, basting with the sauce now and then, or until the peppers are very tender; uncover and bake another 10 minutes to brown the tops a bit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom