Stock concentrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spork

Head Chef
A "new product" has come to market, advertised as "already reduced stock." If I recall the TV commercials, Knorr makes it in a small gelatinized cup and Swanson makes it in a take-out ketchup pack. Both are suggesting cooks use them as a "sauce" to add flavor-depth to "every kitchen creation."

I intend to try them. But I'd also like to hear opinions/experiences from DCers.

I've seen the Swanson ads but haven't tried them. If you make your own stock, you can make this by just seriously reduce some of the stock down to a syrupy thickness and save it that way.

Reduced to a syrupy consistency makes it glace'. Just a fancy French word for reduced stock. If you have the time, you can do it yourself right in your own kitchen. Unit price it against the Swanson stock. And read the label to see what chemicals they added. You can bet that there is a lot of sodium in both products.

it is amazing how good real food tastes, and how bad over processed food tastes. It is amazing how much salt and fat I don't use, and when I do, it is the real thing be it butter or lard or olive oil, kosher or sea salts.

No, I'll pass on their stocksicles.

I got the Knorr brand. Tastes good, very salty. I was hoping to use it as an easy to carry component for making my own low salt Ramen Noodles. Nope! Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of it.

I was surprised to see the Kirkland (Costco brand) broth and stock have less sodium than Swanson Reduced Sodium. Gonna "stock" up when we go to Chi-town.

Use it to flavor gravies in place of bullion.:chef:

I don't use bullion:chef: It does manage to cut the salt in half (700mg sodium) of the Top ramen(1375 mg sodium), but I can't use 4 cups of stock at work. I guess I could repackage it in 1 tsp size servings in a covered container and make my noodles that way. I basically do the same with my Miso for soup.

I was surprised to see the Kirkland (Costco brand) broth and stock have less sodium than Swanson Reduced Sodium. Gonna "stock" up when we go to Chi-town.

Just goes to show; Check those labels! So many folks look down on house labels. A lot of times they turn out to be better than big name brands. :chef:

I've used some of the Knorr chicken product. Better than the pallid canned/boxed stocks I can get around here. Salty, as expected for such products. Not as good, of course, as a well made stock, but an improvement over the cans and boxes and certainly easier to store. Chicken powder and chicken fat.

You might want to try More Than Gourmet glaces and demi-glaces. 1.5 ounce cups. Available on Amazon. They are true reduced stock. Available in chicken, veal and beef, lamb, fruits de mer, turkey, etc.

i have used both the beef and chicken ones. i had to use two and not as much water as it called for. made wonderful french onion soup and chicken chili. i didn't find it as salty as the powdered stuff. more favorable than the canned. just didn't add any salt to either one.

I grew up on knorr products but hate them now. They always have a knorr artificial taste to them.

Instead of buying "concentrated stock" make your own glacé or buy a container of minors

Back
Top Bottom