Storing Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I only like to use garlic that's still fresh and juicy. Really bugs me when they're past their prime and kind of dry already. Sometimes I just throw them out.

Any tips to keep garlic as fresh as possible in storage? Thanks!

Do you have a clay garlic keeper? That works well for me. And keep it coolish and out of the sun.

Hi Chopstix,
I keep my garlic in a clay garlic keeper, away from the stove and a hot windowsill. Most of the time it's in the cool pantry and I just take out what I need each time.

kadesma:)

We harvest about 400 garlic bulbs each summer. Like DaCook says, store them like onions, in an airy, or mesh bag in a cool dark place. I use wooden slated crates, which allow air flow. We are able to keep garlic in good, juicy condition for about 7 to 8 months, then ours start to shrivel or turn brown. Come late winter, I just toss them all.

Thanks folks! I knew that about potatoes. Didn't know it holds true for garlic and onions too! Crikes! My corner basket for garlics, onions and shallots is 1.5 ft from the stove!!! No wonder they keep drying up on me!

I am just now getting ready to plant garlic for next year. I have a dampish cellar--would hanging them in mesh bags in the dampish, cool cellar be a good idea? (that is assuming I get any harvest next summer.)

Also a good use for stockings...long term storage, just drop em in and tie off between the item( onion, garlic, potato...), and like everyone has said, hang in a dark and cool place, not cold though. I hang em on the other side of my pantry door.

I like the clay keepers too.

sparrowgrass said:
I am just now getting ready to plant garlic for next year. I have a dampish cellar--would hanging them in mesh bags in the dampish, cool cellar be a good idea? (that is assuming I get any harvest next summer.)

One book, a Rodale gardening book, lists "cool and dry" for garlic storage. Carla Emery's book says commercial growers store garlic between 32 degrees F and 50 degrees F, and between 60% to 70% humidity, which is considered dri-ish. I was pleased to read that commercial growers can only keep garlic in good condition for 6 to 8 months, that's about as good as I do.

Back
Top Bottom