Stove-top Pot Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haydensgampa

Assistant Cook
My MIL made the best Pot Roast dish I have eaten in my life. The entire meal which included onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, (and obviously the pot roast), was all cooked on the stove top (no oven time). The recipe was never written down, and because of her age she doesn't even remember cooking the dish. I searched the forum for "stove top pot roast" and found a bunch of recipes which all included some oven time. If anyone has a good "Pot Roast on the stove top recipe"...…..please share.

Thanks
Mike

Does she remember what cut of meat she used? I make stove top pot roasts quite often. The last one was a pork butt done Cuban style. When I make one with beef, I might use a boneless chuck roast, 7-bone chuck roast or short ribs.

Does she remember what cut of meat she used? I make stove top pot roasts quite often. The last one was a pork butt done Cuban style. When I make one with beef, I might use a boneless chuck roast, 7-bone chuck roast or short ribs.

It was beef for sure. My FIL would NOT eat pork. I remember the cut of meat was quite thick and it DID NOT have a bone in it.

Mike

That could be a number of cuts, but my preferred is a boneless, very thick chuck roast. I don't have a written recipe as I just eyeball it. I start by browning the roast on all 6 sides in vege oil, S&P seasoning first. I remove the roast, add some stock for deglazing and line the bottom of the pot with a layer of sliced onions and carrots to make a "rack", replace the roast on top and use beef stock to bring the liquid lever to about 2/3 up the side of the roast, cover and bring to a simmer. I cook the roast 1-1/2 to 2 hours depending on thickness. For seasoning I cheat and use a McCormick beef stew seasoning packet and Worcestershire sauce. I add veges in order of doneness till they are to my liking. Remove roast and veges, leaving the bottom carrots and onion. I use an immersion blender to break up the carrots and onions to thicken the gravy. If it isn't thick enough, I'll use a slurry of cool water and corn starch to thicken. For veges, I like carrots, whole, peeled boiling onions, parsnips and new potatoes. I'd use celery but my wife isn't very fond of it. I like my pot roast to be fall apart tender.

Last edited:
You can use any pot roast recipe that calls for oven time and simply cook it on the stovetop. All you really need is a heavy pot big enough to hold the ingredients. My favorite cut for pot roast is boneless chuck. It has great flavor and a good fat to lean ratio.

The preparation is the same up to the point putting the pot in the oven. Instead, just turn down the stovetop burner so it's barely bubbling and let it cook.

The only reason to cook pot roast in an oven is so it doesn't burn.

You can cook it on the stove if you want. Per Andy's post above

Not having a proper full-size oven means I always cook these pot roasts, braises, and stews on a stovetop. My induction burner doesn't work well for these things because I have to choose between a mad furious boil or cool simmer, barely 180°. Fortunately, a cheap little electric with an analog dial works perfectly well even on a big dutch oven.

Back
Top Bottom