Strange food combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think its odd either, but everyone where I live thinks I am nuts, I ALSO like crumbled cooked sausage in it to...

Barbara L said:
I will never know why people think this is weird, but one of my favorite combinations is ice cold cottage cheese with nice hot baked beans poured over the top. The flavors really do complement each other, and the combination of hot and cold is great!
I think that sonds really tasty Barbara, I've done cottage cheese in chilli and that was good too :)

Weird combinations?! My husband puts sour cream to EVERYTHING! I surely don't care for it unless it's in my baked potatoes.

My dad always enjoyed leftover fried chicken with his chocolate cake.

Last edited:
well let's see: I like yellow salad mustard on french fries. Put nice fresh shrimp on a pizza Margherita and I'm in heaven. And to top it off, not only do I like liver, but liver with bacon and garlicy tomato sauce is so wonderful!

and I like every kind of fish I've ever met, however you fix it.

But I will no longer eat brains of any type however it's fixed because it is no longer safe, and I do require knowing where my raw fish is coming from.

Barbara L said:
I will never know why people think this is weird, but one of my favorite combinations is ice cold cottage cheese with nice hot baked beans poured over the top. The flavors really do complement each other, and the combination of hot and cold is great!

:) Barbara
Barbara, I love that too!

baked beans on toast topped with cottage cheese. wonderful...but how is that weird?? Doesn't everybody like that??

kimbaby said:
I also like canned peaches with french dressing on top with bacon bits...
Oohh, that reminds me of a rice dish I make with cut up pork chops and peaches, it's my favourite rice recipe that I've ever invented! :)

Sashimi

I have served Sashimi style squid and tuna on equally thin slices of strawberry's and kiwi fruit - some call them Chinese gooseberries

you have to let them sit for an hour before serving - NO LONGER

the acids from the fruit pickle the fish,

My Japanese friend has her family back home addicted to this exotic treat.

NB: slice the squid skin side up and from head to tail each slice should end up large enough to stretch over a kiwi fruit slice halved. The secret with all Sashimi is in how thin you can slice or shave ....

Just as an after thought
I dont think of these as weird as they are on the menu.
but a customer just reminded me how strange they are to some.

Prawns on a skewer covered with melted brie and garlic, wrapped in prosciutto double crumbed and deep fried.

Figs quartered then wrapped in prosciutto. poached in a shallow sugar syrup with butter on top of the syrup.

Vanilla Ice cream with sweet chilli sauce

Wombat burgers - although these are just pork hamburgers with wild herbs.

Last edited:
Robo410 said:
well let's see: I like yellow salad mustard on french fries.

I love yellow mustard on fries. I hate ketchup.

I also was really grossed out when someone suggested a peanut butter & bacon sandwich....as it turns out, those are pretty good.

My favorite kind of pizza has lamb, feta cheese, black & green olives on it.

And vanilla ice cream with either pretzles or plain potato chips crumbled on top.

One of my step-sons likes to put ketchup on his mac-n-cheese.

I like to add canned tuna to mac-n-cheese.

ok, my kids put peanutbutter mixed w/pancake syrup on their waffles and karo syrup mixed w/butter on their biscuits!:wacko: (except I really like the karo and butter thing:) :) :)

this really isn't all that weird, maybe to oenophiles it is, but i love a good, chilled white zin, white merlot, blush, or rose' with most italian american tomato sauced and melted parm dishes.
there's something about the sweetness of the wine that not only cuts the acidity, but works really well to enhance the flavor of the tomatoes, and especially the melted mozarella or parmesan.
i've had it so many time now that if i have a glass of white zin (et al.), i can almost smell/taste chicken parm, or veal and peppers in sauce.

urmaniac13 said:
Hey, one of the typical ways to enjoy the world famous balsamic vinegar from Modena is to eat it with fresh strawberries!! (though I am yet to try this combination... sounds a little weird and I love strawberries too much!!)

I've tried this, and it's delicious. I served it for dessert once, topped with fresh whipped cream. I've also lightly sauteed the strawberries (about a punnet's worth) in a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and sugar. That was also very nice.

My eldest daughter wants me to make a pizza with bacon, avocado and feta cheese. Doesn't sound that appetizing to me, but she had it recently and swears it will be "divine". I'm making this tonight (with some soup & salad from last night as an emergency back-up). Let you know! -Sandyj

Sandyj said:
My eldest daughter wants me to make a pizza with bacon, avocado and feta cheese. Doesn't sound that appetizing to me, but she had it recently and swears it will be "divine". I'm making this tonight (with some soup & salad from last night as an emergency back-up). Let you know! -Sandyj

Sandy, that pizza sounds awfully good! Can't wait to hear how it turned out.

Kiwi-pesto pizza. I was suspicious at first but my roommate made me try it, and it's delicious, and since then I've been converting more and more people to the kiwi-pesto cause. You just have to try it.

He made his on a large pita bread; just spread the pesto on, cover in kiwi slices, and cover with a cheese that won't get too gooey. I've made it with bleu, camembert, goat cheese, good quality swiss cheese, parmesan...

You don't want to try this with Classico's pesto :-p Get a good one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom