Strange ingredients with common counterparts...why use them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cronos, next time you go out to a restaurant, see if they have a tasting plate - a food sampler. Some of them really give you an idea of different foods/tastes that you may not otherwise expose yourself to. I always look for a tasting plate for an entree (and I'm not talking about the ubiquitous chorizio, olives and fetta or the dips and bread - although they have their place too), to get a better overview of a restaurant and to try dishes that may be prohibitive financially to try. Degustation menus are another good way to sample. Things you then like you can try at home. You also get to see how a restaurant uses ingredients which is easier than standing in a grocery or gourmet store and wondering what you should do with it and whether you can afford to experiment with it. Try tapas restaurants as well - small dishes with lots of variety.

Nope, definitely not chocolate truffles :-p Those I both make and eat regularly haha.

Where are you, Crono? I'm sure there's a fine dining restaurant somewhere near where you are, save up a couple hundred bucks and take your sweetheart and go do the chef's tasting menu with a bunch of friends (or family). I guarantee it will open your eyes.

I have experienced the real truffle sensation: a wild mushroom risotto (morels and chantarelles, really great in themselves) both before and after the truffles were shaved on. OMG

There is a technique to mushroom cooking to caramelize and soften without making them rubbery. so good. just on toast (ok crustini or bruschetta) or with an omlette or risotto.

And yes I live in Mushroom country, USA.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom