Strange Lobster Dip Request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeremyBenson11

Assistant Cook
I live in a place where lobsters are abundant. I would love to come up with a lobster dip recipe that is totally organic. The only problem is, nearly everything has to come off the list. No mayonnaise, no cream cheese. No homemade mayonnaise, because of eggs. If lobster was blended fine, is there anything that would do? I would be looking at mostly produce, fruit, and spices. Is it possible?

You can buy organic eggs, but I'll assume there is some other reason you do not want to use eggs.

Sherry, butter, lemon, and cream go great with lobster, so maybe a roux based sherry cream (cream or milk) sauce, starting with minced shallots, red bell pepper, and garlic. A dash of Worcestershire, maybe some chopped celery (and or carrots).

Finish with some fresh tarragon & lemon juice and top with cheese of your choice (and or bread crumbs) and bake until browned.

Can you get organic milk? If you can, then you could make quark, which is a good substitute for cream cheese. If you can get organic yogourt that could be used. Greek yogourt would be nice and thick. You could make that yourself from regular yogourt.

Last edited:
I see. Pretty well doomed without one of the big ones, mayonnaise, cream, ect. I live on Grand Manan Island. Lobsters are abundant, but not a lot of other things are. I can order for personal use, but $300 for shipping on anything in quantity is unreasonable. Thanks for the ideas.

How about seasoned mashed beans?

That sounds like a great idea.

Now I'm remembering the Greek meze, taramosalata (link to Wikipedia article about taramo)

It's made with cod roe and a mashed starch, usually bread or cooked potato and sometimes almond. There is also olive oil and lemon juice. I have been told that the pink colour can come from food colouring or a bit of the liquid from boiling beets.

That might work with finely chopped lobster. It could be thinned with vegi stock.

Jeremy, do you mostly get fruit and veg from a store or from your and friends' gardens? Do you have a local grocery store or co-op? What kinds of organic stuff can you get from there?

I'm not sure about Ceviche. Lobster grows a nasty bacteria when dead, and in a short time too. I would have to investigate where and how the bacteria forms. But it sounds good, though outside the dip realm.

Our store is Independent Grocer, so we do have a large selection of basics, spices, ect. My choice of organic is simply a personal choice. I don't do chemicals, in anything. Milk, cheese, yogurt, and I don't buy the meat there. Not even the fish, lol. I eat the produce for now, with no other choice available. My back acre is all field, but needs excavation.

Last edited:
I see. Pretty well doomed without one of the big ones, mayonnaise, cream, ect. I live on Grand Manan Island. Lobsters are abundant, but not a lot of other things are. I can order for personal use, but $300 for shipping on anything in quantity is unreasonable. Thanks for the ideas.

Can you get eggs, oil and vinegar or lemon? If so, you can make your own mayo!

Are you willing to use produce from that store for your lobster dip? Can you get special request items from the store i.e., ask them to include your request while they are placing their order?

Last edited:
You have a big yard, get some chickens and you will then know they are organic!
Not hard to keep, supply water, shelter at night and a place to lay their eggs.

Once they know their home you can let them free range and they will come in at dusk on their own.

You have a big yard, get some chickens and you will then know they are organic!
Not hard to keep, supply water, shelter at night and a place to lay their eggs.

Once they know their home you can let them free range and they will come in at dusk on their own.

Good idea.

I'm also thinking that it must be possible to rent or borrow a roto-tiller to prep a vegi garden sized plot of land. Can be small to start with.

Here's another thought… if you have access to chickpeas and sesame seeds, how about a lobster hummus?

Creamy hummus (sesame paste, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, cooked chickpeas, cumin), top with chunks of steamed lobster and maybe a chopped roasted red pepper basil/parsley/dill salsa with a splash of wine vinegar.

You can flavor the hummus a million different ways depending on what you have on hand, and add all kinds of herbs and veggies to chunky it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom