Streusel topping help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I just posted my favourite easy coffee cake: Quick Coffee Cake - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Sometimes the streusel sinks into the cake in a number of places and makes wonderful, sugary bits. Other times it all stays on top. I like it better when it sinks in.

Does anyone have any ideas how to reliably make it sink in? I don't sprinkle it evenly, because that virtually guarantees that it won't sink in.

I just posted my favourite easy coffee cake: Quick Coffee Cake - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Sometimes the streusel sinks into the cake in a number of places and makes wonderful, sugary bits. Other times it all stays on top. I like it better when it sinks in.

Does anyone have any ideas how to reliably make it sink in? I don't sprinkle it evenly, because that virtually guarantees that it won't sink in.
If you added more butter would that make the topping thinner? It may sink in if it is a bit runnier. Just thinking out loud, here.:wacko: Good luck!

the easy way would be to use a toothpick or something and push some below the surface before you bake it. ;)

More butter and sugar! And when you are blending the topping, use your hands in the sugar and butter rather than a pastry blender. If you get it a bit pastelike, it is more likely to sink and be yummy.

Back
Top Bottom