Stuffed Pepper how long - temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xCJ

Assistant Cook
Looking to make vegetarian stuffed pepper tonight stuffed with yellow rice and beans. How long would I cook 3-4 of these peppers and at what temp? Thanks for any help.

Hi and welcome to DC :)

I cook them for about an hour at 350°F. That will soften the peppers nicely.

Alright that sounds right. Do I cook the rice and the pepper seperate and then stuff the pepper after they both cook? Or do I cook the rice, stuff the uncooked peper, and then cook them? That's the only thing I'm confused on.

Last edited:
Alright that sounds right. Do I cook the rice and the pepper seperate and then stuff the pepper after they both cook? Or do I cook the rice, stuff the uncooked peper, and then cook them? That's the only thing I'm confused on.

This is one of those recipes that was invented to use up leftovers. Cook the rice first (or make extra one night, and them make the stuffed peppers another night), then combine with the other ingredients, stuff the raw peppers and bake them.

Here's a good basic recipe; you can sub ingredients as you like: Betty Crocker Stuffed Peppers

Hello and welcome xCJ. I've never made veggie stuffed peppers but I have made beef stuffed peppers two different ways. Mom's version used raw meat and cooked the life out of the things! (Loved ya Mom, but your peppers weren't your best meal.) My neighbor gave me a great recipe that used pre-cooked beef. Maybe the time baked would work for the veggie version. Crunchy! Regarding the rice: If you use a regular raw rice you need to boil it first, otherwise their might not be enough liquid in the recipe to cook it in the peppers. Are you using any type of liquid, such as a tomato sauce? You could use Minute Rice and make sure you have enough moisture in the Minute Rice/bean mixture to make sure the rice comes out the right texture.

Also, after you clean the peppers out cook them in salted water for about 5 minutes to make them a bit more pliable to stuff. Once you stuff them place them in a casserole/baking dish, add a bit of liquid to the dish, and cover with the lid or foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes, then check the doneness. Once they feel they're "getting there" uncover them so they can brown just a bit on top.

Good luck and let us know how they turn out!

Well we just pulled the peppers out of the over and are stuffing them. We didnt do anything besides clean the peppers and put them on a metal baking pan and stick them in the oven uncovered no water or anything in the pan. We have tomato sauce heated and everything smells great. Topping them with 4 cheese mexican cheese and going to stick them back in the over for 5 minutes. Looks ok!

I never precook meat when make stuffed peppers. However, if I stuff peppers with rice, I cook rice first about half way and also I boil the peppers before stuffing them. There are so many different ways to cook them.

I haven't made stuffed peppers since I retired. I used to brown the meat then add the cooked rice and some tomato sauce. I would blanch the peppers to soften them a bit, then stuff them. I would do this the night before and refrigerate. When I got home from work the peppers only had to cook a short time until they were hot. I always made extra filling, too because my family liked the filling more than the peppers.

This is one of those recipes that was invented to use up leftovers. Cook the rice first (or make extra one night, and them make the stuffed peppers another night), then combine with the other ingredients, stuff the raw peppers and bake them.

Here's a good basic recipe; you can sub ingredients as you like: Betty Crocker Stuffed Peppers
If cooking rice in advance and letting it go cold be very careful.

There is a very nasty food poisoning organism that loves to lurk in reheated rice that hasn't been dealt with carefully enough. "Bacillus cereus" occurs on raw rice and can survive the cooking process and when the cooked rice isn't stored properly it can grow to dangerous levels. More people go down with the tummy nasties from eating the rice salad at buffet parties than ever fall foul of iffy chicken or cold cuts.

Cool it very quickly as soon as it's cooked (I run mine under the cold water tap, drain well and chill or freeze it immediately) and when you want to use it take it straight from the 'fridge to whatever you are doing with it and do not keep the finished dish at room temperature if you aren't eating it at once and don't reheat the left-overs again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom