Submit favorite DC recipes here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Cat! :)

Bolas' Onion Goop:
Fill your slow cooker with sliced onions, a bit of butter and cook for 10 hours.
The base freezes well. The possibilities for using the onion goop are endless, but my first port of call is french onion soup.

My mom was an immigrant from Armenia. She came to the USA in her 20s after years of persecution and living in fear throughout the area around Armenia, Turkey, Syria and Lebanon. She married and raised a family here in Massachusetts. She cooked the simple foods she grew up with for her family.

My sister and I have learned to cook some of her dishes that we loved most. We have passed these recipes on to our children. They love them too.

When my mom died in 1982, there was no internet, no worldwide community, no global sharing of recipes etc. Her world was small.

For me to share her recipe for rice pilaf with all of you and see that some of you rank that as among your favorites, warms my heart and makes think about how my mom would have felt to see her cooking so widely appreciated.

When my mom died in 1982, there was no internet, no worldwide community, no global sharing of recipes etc. Her world was small.

Her world might have been small, but she has touched many corners of it through her cooking and your sharing of her recipes.Thanks Andy.

Thanks for that addition LP. I know there must be dozens of memorable recipes from here, long before I came to DC in 2010. Get your thinking caps on "old timers". ;)

Last edited:
I mentioned this one a couple of days ago so thought I'd re-post the recipe. I love this and have made it several times. It was submitted by our lovely Kades. :angel: :wub:

Kades Asian Noodle Salad
1/4 C peanut oil
2 T rice vinegar
1 T fresh lime juice
2 t oriental sesame oil
1 t grated fresh ginger
1/4 t hot chili sesame oil (or to taste)
salt to taste
whisk all the above and set aside.

12 oz. fresh Chinese flat noodles or linguine, cooked al dente
Add the following to noodles (and cook a minute or so longer to lightly blanch)
1 med. carrot, julienned
1 seeded cucumber, julienned

Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again, place on clean kitchen towel and blot well
Toss noodle/veggie mixture with dressing
Add thinly sliced green onion and chopped cilantro to taste
Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds (I added toasted almonds, too)

img_1369566_0_6557d012f9c54f0c843330a7756021a5.jpg

Last edited:
Here is her original recipe from her own words....sorry, I didn't go back and find her original post...I just copied it from my notepad. I apologize for it not being all neat and clean in one post, with a link. :wub:

Kades asian noodle salad
Whisk 1/4 cup peanut oil,2 Tab. rice vinegar, 1 Tab. fresh lime juice,2 tea. oriental sesame oil,1 tea grated fresh ginger, salt to taste, and 1/4 tea. of hot chili sesame oil you decide how much to use.Mix well all ingredients.Set aside Cook 12 oz of fresh Chinese flat noodles or linguine. Cook about 5 min stir in 1 med. julienned carrot and 1 seeded cucumber also julienned cook 2-3 min longer drain well rinse with cold water now drain again. Place noodles on clean kitchen towel and blot well Now toss noodles and veggies with the dressing add 4 thin sliced green onions and some chopped cilantro I love it so I tend to use 4-5 tab. Now if you extra hungry add some Shrimp that you've had marinating drain it and also add some toasted sesame seeds.
kades

Back
Top Bottom