Suggestions for leftover ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I am not much of a ham lover, but my dh is, so I made a bone-in spiral sliced ham for him this Christmas. Since I don't do much with ham, and he will eventually get sick of ham sandwiches, I was wondering what other ways there are that I can incorporate into dishes. I plan to do a quiche and we love old-timey ham and beans, but beyond that I rarely use ham in recipes. TIA!

Use it like you would pancetta or bacon in an alfredo type sauce...dice it and top a chicken dish with it...freeze a bunch for when you are feeling lazy! I find it is a godsend to have in the freezer when I'm running late and the kids have to get out to a dance class.

Well I came here to suggest Red Beans & Rice --- The bone and a few scraps of ham Scream them to me...Added sausage towards the end of cooking creates a nice flavor, plus I like a nice link of sausage on the side --- in the bowl --on the plate -- whatever!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Thank you so much for all of the yummy suggestions! I think the scalloped potatoes will now have to be on the menu this weekend. And we love split pea soup, but I usually use bacon. Great ideas! Thanks!

I freeze thick slices of ham in FoodSaver bags for use in future breakfasts (Ham & Eggs) and also will grind up flavorful pieces to make a ham sandwich spread, which is also good in a tomato as a salad.

pea soup was my first choice.

or diced in omelettes.

or added to kale and two potato soup.

Here is a recipe I tried when MIL sent home the leftovers of her spiral ham (with bone), it was really really good!

Split Pea soup and Ham & Bean soup would be my choices!

I love making up huge batches of soup and then canning it. In pint jars for just myself, and in quart jars for the family.

Wish I could post a link, there's some unbelievable recipes out there!

Try Recipezaar.com...then do a sort on "Rating" and browse through the recipes.

Omelettes, quiche, chicken cordon bleu (or any variation of it), cuban burgers, hot ham and swiss, diced with green beans, casseroles...or my fave ham and swiss with mustard and lettuce on white bread.

I have beans cooking in the crockpot right now with the bone and bits of meat from a spiral-sliced ham. They have been cooking all day and they smell wonderful..I'll make some cornbread to go with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom