Suggestions--Need to use up yogurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
DH bought me way too much yogurt. It's the Dannon family pack, multiple flavors. He didn't check the date and it's going to expire soon, anyone have suggestions on what I can do with it?

I've already used a bunch to make muesli, so getting tired of that. It's in 4 oz cups. Can I freeze it as is to have little frozen yogurt cups?

Thanks!

Here's what I do with yogurt for breakfast:
Blenderize:
2 4-oz. yogurts (any flavor)
8-oz. juice (orange, pear, mango, cranberry...)
2 scoops protein powder (I use egg & milk protein powder, but soy would work too)
2 handfuls of frozen blueberries, or the equivalent of any other frozen fruit (peach, strawberry, raspberry...)
You can also add a fresh banana as well.

Enjoy!

HTC, here's one I've saved, but haven't had a chance to try yet.

Strawberry Yogurt Poundcake
strawberry-yogurt-pound-cake.jpg

Makes approximately 1 loaf cake or 8 servings

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 carton (6 oz.) non-fat strawberry yogurt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt, if desired. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl at medium speed, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, yogurt and extract until well blended. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add reserved flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, beating just until blended.

Spread evenly in greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake in preheated 325°F oven until cake tester inserted near center comes out clean, about 70 minutes. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

Here's what NOT to use it for.....:-p

«Naked Yogurt Fighting Illegal

A Seoul appellate court on Friday sentenced an executive of a domestic milk company to a fine of about US$5,000 for staging a nude yoghurt fight to advertise a new product.

The bench ruled the performance was purely commercially motivated and had no artistic merit whatsoever. It said the show was obscene and sensational, adding it could find no justification for using nudity to achieve the goal of the campaign.

Ken said:
Here's what NOT to use it for.....:-p

«Naked Yogurt Fighting Illegal

A Seoul appellate court on Friday sentenced an executive of a domestic milk company to a fine of about US$5,000 for staging a nude yoghurt fight to advertise a new product.

The bench ruled the performance was purely commercially motivated and had no artistic merit whatsoever. It said the show was obscene and sensational, adding it could find no justification for using nudity to achieve the goal of the campaign.

Yum. Yogurt wrestling. Has plenty of artistic merit for me. (Would that be raspberry?) Ken, I can tell you're related to Alix. The apple (yogurt) doesn't fall far from the tree. :LOL:

Welcome to dc.

Last edited:
You can also drain it like you would vanilla or plain yogurt to make yogurt cheese (through cheese cloth, over a bowl, over night) ... pretty good to spread on english muffins the next day. Hint - don't do it on bagels ... it's still a bit more soft than the nonflavored is so tends to slip through the hole.
Enjoy!
:) J.

I add yogurt (fruit or plain) to most of my muffin recipes to help cut down on the added oil. It works like a charm and you can come up with neat combos like strawberry muffins with peach yogurt or white chocolate muffins with raspberry yogurt.

I'm not a milk drinker ~ but I love LOVE yogurt with granola. You earn bonus points for adding fresh fruit!

Yogurt + granola also safely takes care of that sweet tooth craving for me as well.

:heart:
Z

Andy M. said:
You can freeze it but the texture may suffer a bit. It'll still taste good.
Yes I do this sometimes!! And eat it while it is frozen (leave it outside for several minutes before you tackle it so it won't be so rock solid...) It is indeed like "frozen yogurt", I quite like it... (Attn: it works less nicely with lowfat, fatfree version though...)

I just think it's a great desert with a fancy cookie or slice of plain cake and some fresh fruit if ya got any. Something light and fruity after a good meal is all I want for a finale.

Has anybody sugested pancakes yet? Yum, the best pancakes ever made from yogurt, and not any kind of mix.

Charlie D, I wouldn't know where to begin to use yogurt to make pancakes. Any suggestions?JMediger, if I were to leave the yogurt out all night, wouldn't it go bad? After I drain it, can I put it back in the fridge or should I leave it out? How long is it food after it's been drained?

Thanks all for your suggestions!!

htc said:
if I were to leave the yogurt out all night, wouldn't it go bad? After I drain it, can I put it back in the fridge or should I leave it out? How long is it food after it's been drained?

Leave it overnight in the fridge to drain. I put a coffee filter inside a colander & put the yogurt on top of the filter, put a plate under the colander for the water to drain onto. (I think it originally? called for cheesecloth, but I used a coffee filter.) Use the yogurt cheese the next day for recipe of choice.

I've used low fat. Trying to remember a rule about using or not using yogurt that contains acidofilous? (can't remember the exact name of the ingredient). You could do a search on yogurt cheese.

Years ago there were a few cooking shows re cutting the fat, & yogurt cheese was used in so many recipes - even cheesecake. If I recall, it was also used as a thickening agent.

Re the recipe for strawberry yogurt pound cake, thinking about adding in some chopped strawberries too - or fruit of choice.

Last edited:
Yogurt base pancakes:

1 cup of yogurt

1 cup of flour

1 large or extra large egg

1 pinch salt

1 t baking powder or baking soda, but then you'd have to poor some vinegar over it, like a 2 t spoons or about that much, you'll see a reaction, soda will start foaming up, mix well until reaction stops.

1 table spoon oil.

+ OIL FOR FRYING

Mix everything well. The batter should be sour cream, maybe just a bit thinner. Warm up the frying pan, I like to use a lot of oil, well just to cover the bottom of the pan. But you can just use as much as you normally would. Take a serving spoon and spoon the batter on the pan, fry on both sides. Serve with your favorite syrup, lots of butter and/or sour cream.

:chef:

You're welcome, htc.

Thanks for the pancake recipe, Charlie. Very unique.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom