Suggestions on how to cook filet mignon...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QVCox

Assistant Cook
Hey guys,

My parents' 22nd anniversary is coming up and I'd like to make them a nice dinner. I know my mom loves filet mignon, but I've never prepared it and wouldn't know what would be great to go with it... I was thinking filet with a mushroom sauce with steamed veggies and maybe garlic mashed or baked potato or something. I know my dad will eat anything so I'm not as concerned for him. Anyways I'm looking for suggestions/recipes/ideas for how to prepare it as well as dessert/appetizer/anything else that you guys think would make this an awesome night/meal. :D Any and all suggestions/advice GREATLY GREATLY appreciated... Help me out! :D

thanks
Q

I prefer to pan roast filets.

I sear both sides of the filet in an ovenproof skillet and pop them into the oven to finish cooking, then rest them while making the mushroom sauce.

I would season the filets with salt, pepper, and a touch of granulated garlic, then grill them to medium rare, preferably over charcoal. I'd serve them smothered in sliced mushrooms (1 lb) and onions (1 small), sautéd in a butter (1 Tbs) and sherry (6 oz) sauce and seasoned with salt, pepper, 1/8 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground corriander. Sides would be twice baked potatoes (grated guyrere cheese and sliced scalion) garnished with chopped fresh parsley, and either a steamed vegetable medley or vegetables (carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, red bell pepper) sautéd with a splash of dark sesame oil.

I would season the filets with salt, pepper, and a touch of granulated garlic, then grill them to medium rare, preferably over charcoal. I'd serve them smothered in sliced mushrooms (1 lb) and onions (1 small), sautéd in a butter (1 Tbs) and sherry (6 oz) sauce and seasoned with salt, pepper, 1/8 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp ground corriander. Sides would be twice baked potatoes (grated guyrere cheese and sliced scalion) garnished with chopped fresh parsley, and either a steamed vegetable medley or vegetables (carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, red bell pepper) sautéd with a splash of dark sesame oil.

I'll vote for this!! Except I would serve the shrooms on the side! I may want a bite or two of pure beef. Also QvCox when/if you buy the filets don't buy the ones with bacon wrapped around them. You can do this later if you wish. $20.00 + per pound is very expensive bacon!! :ermm:

Have Fun and Enjoy!!

:)I also pan sear them then put in oven a few minutes,mashed potatoes are great with filets,some light sauteed vegetables are nice or just some nice asparagus your sauce sounds good,a small salad to start would be good and some crusty french bread with butter,As for dessert I would keep it really light like some berries and vanilla cream.If you can set a nice table with a cloth and some candles and maybe a few flowers in a vase or even a single beautiful rose.OOh another cool thing might be to play some romantic music they used to listen to when they were younger but not too loud.

Last edited:
guys i can't say how great your advice has been :D i'm gonna try that recipe caine, hopefully i can pull it off :D
jpm flowers/tablecloth/music etc was also great advice (although i had planned on it :D)
but seriously everyone thanks a ton
i'll let ya know how it turns out... now just depends on how good i can cook >.< uh oh!
Cox

Well, no one has addressed dessert. May I suggest Pots de Creme au Chocolate, which is an elegant and delicious dessert. It's something that can be prepared in advance and, if your parents have some special china coffee cups, you could serve it in those. Or if they have some special (short and stubby) glassware, that would work, too. Here's a link to a recipe that is very similar to one of my favorites.

Pan sear/finish in the oven is a great idea.

Charcoal grilling, if you have the option is not any better or any worse.

Season minimally, make a sauce... but serve it on the side!!! Options are always nice, and even though I might really like a sauce, I probably want a few bites of just beef like Bob said.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom