Table Of Condiments That Periodically Go Bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The disclaimers are interesting.

Disclaimers

We do not guarantee that any of the above information is in any way accurate. For instance, it was pointed out recently that vegemite is unfit for human consumption upon opening. (We agree - it's vile stuff). However, tests show it is an effective form of reactor shielding. As a note, we did not write the above table. We stole it from some weird day planner we saw somewhere back in 1997. We're not trying to get credit that's not ours. It was more of a tribute. Really.
We are accepting random donations, however. Just in case you were interested.
Update: We just received this information from a random net browser:

It appeared in a mock calendar diary for 1997 and was produced by Potlatch (the paper company) under the title "365 Ben Days." The concept and design was by Dana Arnett, Ken Fox, Fletcher Martin and John Naresky of VSA Partners, Chicago.

Are there any condiments that don't go bad ever? (Not including dry condiments like salt or seasoning mixes which may lose their potency or otherwise become unattractive but are still usable.)

Any moist condiment I can think of with moisture (ketchup, mayonnaise, relish, etc.) has got to have some kind of maximum shelf life. You know for sure when you see mold or other discoloration forming.

I like to mark purchase date on my condiments using a permanent market. I've often found condiments that have been in my refrigerator for several years, which I often toss and get a new replacement just out of principle.

Last edited:
I don't know about pepper, but I can tell you that vinegar goes bad. I've had red wine vinegar that eventually oxidized and developed some seriously disgusting sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

But it still didn't go bad. It was still safe to consume.

Even unpasteurized vinegar is still ok after it develops a mother. Mothers look a lot different than sediment.

Soy sauce, fish sauce are also things that dont go bad.

Last edited:
who knew there was a "Vinegar Institute?"

What is “Mother”?

“Mother” of vinegar will naturally occur in vinegar products as the result of the vinegar bacteria itself. Mother is actually cellulose (a natural carbohydrate which is the fiber in foods like celery and lettuce) produced by the harmless vinegar bacteria. Today, most manufacturers pasteurize their product before bottling to prevent these bacteria from forming “mother” while sitting on the retail shelf.
After opening, you may notice “mother” beginning to form. Vinegar containing “mother” is not harmful or spoiled. Just remove the substance by filtering and continue to enjoy the product.
How Long Does Vinegar Last?

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out and confirmed that vinegar’s shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White distilled vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used and enjoyed with confidence.

This should solve the problem of mother in vinegar. Vinegar worms were sold years ago as fish food. May still be. They eat the bacteria, or mother, in vinegar. Vinegar manufacturers just filter them out. (Wikepedia)

Turbatrix aceti (Vinegar eels, Vinegar nematode) are free-living nematodes that feed on the microbial culture, called mother of vinegar used to create vinegar, and may be found in unfiltered vinegar. Vinegar eels are often given to fry (baby fish) as a live food, like microworms.
Although they are harmless and non-parasitic, leaving eels in vinegar is considered objectionable in the United States and is not permitted in vinegar destined for American consumers. [1] Manufacturers normally filter and pasteurize their product prior to bottling, destroying the live bacterial and yeast culture that these nematodes require for sustenance.[2]. They are usually about 2mm long and feed on the bacteria from apples

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Go to the link on the bottom of the periodic table: FNORD
even funnier.
F.N.O.R.D. -- A Non-Prophet Organization

F.N.O.R.D. is a Discordian disorganization dedicated to....
Well, We at F.N.O.R.D. aren't really dedicated to anything, per se, but, as we at F.N.O.R.D. like to say:
We think all right thinking people in this world are SICK and TIRED of being told that ordinary, decent people are not fed up in this world with being sick and tired. We certainly are. And we're sick and tired of being told that we're not. (here is an opposing view)
:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom