Tasty salad dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
any ideas for a tasty salad dressing? Some of the store bought stuff is good but sometimes tiring.

For an easy creamy dressing, I like a combination of chunky salsa, mayonnaise, and sour cream or Greek yogurt.

A simple mustard vinaigrette is another easy option.

2 teaspoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup wine vinegar (red or white)
1 cup extra virgin olive oil

Put the ingredients into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake. Refrigerate and use within a week.

If you learn a couple of basic formulas you should be able to make almost any type of dressing by changing the combinations of acids, oils, and flavoring ingredients.

Good luck!

For an easy creamy dressing, I like a combination of chunky salsa, mayonnaise, and sour cream or Greek yogurt.

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Put the ingredients into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake. Refrigerate and use within a week.

If you learn a couple of basic formulas you should be able to make almost any type of dressing by changing the combinations of acids, oils, and flavoring ingredients.

Good luck!

Yup, learn a few basic dressings and then use your imagination to make variations.

I make a very similar dressing to the one Aunt Bea gave the recipe for. If you use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic and only use (optional) dry, rather than fresh, herbs, that dressing can last a whole lot longer than a week in the fridge.

My recipe is similar to Aunt Bea's.

A general salad dressing rule is 1 part vinegar and 3 parts oil. A 2nd rule is to make it to your own taste.

Here’s my basic Dijon Vinaigrette:

1/4 Cup wine vinegar—red, white, sherry wine vinegar, balsamic, sometimes cider vinegar, lemon juice works good too
1 clove garlic smashed and finely minced
2 tsp to 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp salt
Pepper to taste
½- ¾ Cup good olive oil

Shake and stir in a covered jar. Taste after ½ cup oil before adding more,
Add to salad just before serving.
Optional adds: 1 tsp dried or 1 Tbsp fresh herbs—basil, oregano, a little minced onion, 1 Tbsp honey, ½ tsp dry mustard instead of Dijon. Etc.

Last edited:

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Good luck!

Id add a T of soy sauce to that!

We just make our dressings.
The tomato dressing we make is 1 qt of tomato sauce, 1 medium onion, 1/2 cup vinegar, chili powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, blend in a blender, store in the refrigerator.
If we want to have something richer to mix in or separate, then 1 container of silken tofu, garlic, lemon juice, onion powder, blend with a hand blender, use within a week.

Back
Top Bottom