Thawing Large Cuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
hey all...you guys turned me onto thawing chicken and fish by putting it in an air tight bag and running it under cold water. it works great!!

BUT...will that also work for large cuts of beef and pork? i have 5 lb. cuts of both pork shoulder and pot roast, vacuum sealed and frozen.

can i just put the foodsaver bag in a large pot and run it under water??

TIA!!

Yes it sure will. This is the most efficient way of thawing any type of meat. Just make sure to use cold water (below 40 degrees).

a> because i always forget

b> even when i do remember...it never thaws the middle of large cuts (over 3 in thick) in time.

thanks for the heads up guys!

If you're worried about wasting water, because a large cut WILL use a lot of water, let it thaw in the fridge for 24-36 hours, and then let it sit at room temp. in a cool place for 2-3 hours to finish the meat

If it's that big, leave it out overnight--I know, I know. It has worked for me for too long.

When I am thawing a turkey, leg o' something or a large piece of meat, I wrap it in a garbage bag and put it in the bathtub w/ lots of cold water.

The opening of the bag hangs over the edge of the tub and it's easy to lift out if someone wants a shower.

Last edited:
Mugsy has said that he forgets though, so he is looking for something faster than overnight. Letting it sit on the counter or in the fridge for 24 hours will not accomplish what he is looking for. A cold water bath will.

Gretchen said:
If it's that big, leave it out overnight--I know, I know. It has worked for me for too long.
You're playing with FIRE!!! It's only a matter of time before someone gets sick.

That goes against every rule learned in HACCP training. :huh:

I wouldn't recommend it.

to save water so i dont have to leave the faucet running...i usualy fill the pot up, 1/2 way, put the meat or fish in, and cover with ice....

that way the ice melts and keeps the water from getting warm.

My All Clad griddle speed thaws just about anything. I just set it down on the dark metal surface and turn it every 15 min or so.

GB said:
Yes it sure will. This is the most efficient way of thawing any type of meat. Just make sure to use cold water (below 40 degrees).

But tap water isn't below 40ºF, is it?

I usually put the frozen package into a sink of water right out of the tap, do not add ice, and change the water if it doesn't feel cold any longer before the meat is thawed.

Are you supposed to let the water constantly run over it??:ermm:

You either need to let the water constantly run over it (which is a huge waste) or change it every half hour or so.

mugsy, i think you need to work on your memory a bit. I mean, with a 5 pound shoulder roast sitting in the freezer or frig, what else could possibly be on your mind:D ?

GB said:
You either need to let the water constantly run over it (which is a huge waste) or change it every half hour or so.

oh good, I'm okay then... hah:angel:

It would be interesting to know exactly what risk people take (the actual odds) when throwing something on the counter in the morning and cooking and eating it that night. I know people who do this routinely and they always say, "It's ok because I've always done it that way."

I know a group that cooks up pans of lasagna and freezes them. The night before the event, they take them out of the freezer and set them out overnight and all day next day, then cook and serve to around 400 people. They've been doing this for years and won't listen to reason. They put signs on their "petri pans" saying "Don't dare put this in the refrigerator." You'd think folks would be dropping like flies.

The chances of someone getting sick is pretty small, but you do not want to be that one unlucky person.

SharonT said:
I know people who do this routinely and they always say, "It's ok because I've always done it that way."
I see this the same as people who do not wear their seatbelts because they have never been in an accident.

GB said:
I see this the same as people who do not wear their seatbelts because they have never been in an accident.
Yah, and YOU do not want to be the one that gets saddled with the law suit! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom