The Dying Dozen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Looks like food companies have taken liberties with traditional packaging and no longer honor the tradition of selling some foods in dozens, even though the price has stayed the same, or even increased.
Picked up some wieners today for the first time in over a year...10 in a pack..evil..I say..

Attachments

• 38675485_480578455739344_9095432043508006912_n (2).jpg
    38675485_480578455739344_9095432043508006912_n (2).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 132
The dogs I buy have never come in dozens. Right now I get 6 in a pack. At the same time, HD buns come in 8 packs. So you need 4 packs of hot dogs to match up in quantity with three packs of buns.

Last edited:
We never had 12 dogs to the pack.
Our dog and bun quantity are the same - 8 each. EXCEPT for Hebrew National which only have 6 or 7 to the pack.

I buy my hot dogs from Omaha Steaks. They are 3 ounce deli style franks and they come 4 to a vacuum sealed pack. I used to buy Oroweat hot dog buns in California, which are larger than a normal bun and come 6 to a pack. Arnolds does not sell an equivilent package of buns.

Hebrew National is a 12 oz. pack, 6 dogs for $5.00

A lot of companies opted for making smaller packages, but keep the price unchanged. Rather than charging more. Practice proved to be successful. People, a lot of people do not complain.

I'm guessing that the total weight of the package also is smaller, right Roch? I don't care about total number, just give me the same value. Sadly, the shrinking package-but-same price sleight of hand profit game has been going on for ages.

The dogs I buy have never come in dozens. Right now I get 6 in a pack. At the same time, HD buns come in 8 packs. So you need 4 packs of hot dogs to match up in quantity with three packs of buns.
Or, like me, you use those two leftover hot dog buns for a PB&J sandwich, tuna salad sandwich, egg salad sandwich...:yum:

Or, like me, you use those two leftover hot dog buns for a PB&J sandwich, tuna salad sandwich, egg salad sandwich...:yum:

I've done that -- usually tuna salad. Tuna salad in hot dog buns seems to work quite well.

It has long been the eight dogs, eight buns standard around here. Hebrew National drives me nuts with their seven dog packages. Why do that? :glare:

CD

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the total weight of the package also is smaller, right Roch? I don't care about total number, just give me the same value. Sadly, the shrinking package-but-same price sleight of hand profit game has been going on for ages.
I think it is both..they can't make the portion sizes any smaller so they start to reduce the quantity..

Pirate, when he is jn the vicinity, will stop at our local Kosher hot dog maker and pick up a bunch of seconds. Cheap, and still very tasty. But at this time of year, all my HD buns are for lobster or crab salad. Well buttered on the outside and toasted on the grill. I like my lobster and crab salad with finely diced celery and onion along with large chunks of the meat and all in some mayo. I like to make either one earlier in the morn so that by the time I am ready to eat, the flavors have blended so well.

A very simple recipe, but ever so tasty.

Looks like food companies have taken liberties with traditional packaging and no longer honor the tradition of selling some foods in dozens, even though the price has stayed the same, or even increased.
Picked up some wieners today for the first time in over a year...10 in a pack..evil..I say..

I've always seen the "standard" package of hot dog wieners 8 to a pack. That's anything from Oscar Mayer to Ball Park to any of the cheaper local brands. I also see some in smaller packaging, but don't buy them so I haven't really paid attention. I do wish that any grocery stores around here had the big dogs that I get when I play golf. There are about 100 different hot dogs and brat/sausage shaped offerings, but all seem to be about the same size as a basic hot dog. We don't have much to choose from here for grocery stores.

A coupld of brands at Walmart also offer a family pack of either 16 or 20, I get 16 Ball Park or 20 Bar S franks, then split them up and freeze them in smaller packs.

Back
Top Bottom