The Mysterious Substance in the Pantry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
Looking for a cooking sauce today in the pantry and I discovered a brown, sticky substance has oozed out of one of the many(too many) bottles or jars of the cooking sauces and condiments. I took everything out to wash the bottles and the shelf and I couldn't, for the life of me, find any container that looked damaged, dirty or had leaked. I smelled the dark mysterious substance and it didn't smell like anything that would have been in the bottles in that area of the cupboard......Now, there have been many things in and out of that section over the last few months/years so it could be anything.......but....what is it?????

I don't know, but if it spits at you, who you gonna call, Ghost Busters!

My worst such experience was a small pumpkin that had gone bad in the back of my pantry. It was back and buried, and I didn't find it until all of the liquid had dried out of it. It was a mess to clean from the floor. Fortunately, It wasn't in a position to contaminate anything else. But it left a stain.

Hope you find out what your mystery goo is. Good luck.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I had a brown goo in my pantry a few years ago. I traced mine to a can of crushed pineapple in the way back corner that had leaked down the back wall and onto the shelf underneath. It was a mess. Hope you find your "culprit."

The Mysterous Substance in the Pantry

I had the same problem, brown oozy substance in my turntable. Still can't figure out what leaked.

Last edited:
I'm not all that familiar with the evacuation habits of the common mouse.

Must have been a REALLY big mouse in my turntable as well. No mouse poops. Something leaked, and it wasn't a mouse. :glare: My suspicions are with the organic peanut butter jar that I store upside down. Perhaps someone, who shall remain nameless, didn't tighten the lid enough.

Last edited:
I had a jar of molasses ooze out on me. It was half full when I put it back on the shelf. The next time I looked at it most of it had oozed out from a small crack in the bottom before I found it. Good hot water and my hair dryer on high softened it up enough to clean it without a lot of hard work. I used my bench scraper to scoop it up. Then washed the shelf in hot soapy water. :angel:

I had a jar of molasses ooze out on me. It was half full when I put it back on the shelf. The next time I looked at it most of it had oozed out from a small crack in the bottom before I found it. Good hot water and my hair dryer on high softened it up enough to clean it without a lot of hard work. I used my bench scraper to scoop it up. Then washed the shelf in hot soapy water. :angel:
I was thinking molasses, too, Addie. Same has happened here.

OOZE

The biggest disaster i had was after the 94 Northridge quake. A bottle of Kahlua fell and broke, and we did not get home for a week. The alcohol evaporated, and I was left with a sticky mess with broken glass in it. I had to use hot water and a sponge mop to clean it up.

Back
Top Bottom