The oddest thing you've cooked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lutefisk. The smell remained in the house for 2 weeks. Never going to cook that again.

I recall watching Alton Brown's "Road Tasted" motorcycle trip up the Mississippi river valley, and after reaching Minnesota, they tried Lutefisk, which no one could stomach! :LOL: But, it was funny watching them try! :LOL:

It definitely is an acquired taste. To my knowledge, MN is one of the few places where you can buy Lutefisk in the grocery store...and where the Lutheran churches still hold Lutefisk suppers in December...because of the way it is preserved, there are portions that are "jelly like" and other portions that are firm...that jelly-like texture is, well, an acquired taste. Thankfully, Surstoermming never caught on in MN. (The o has an umlaut).

Last edited:
As a kid I use to go frogging with my dad. That part of it was fun, cleaning,cooking and eating them was NOT. I finally got a taste for them. Now well not able to frog anymore and I refue to buy them at the fish market
kadesma:)

I used to scuba dive off the Baja Peninsula of Mexico and Southern California coast. We would often come back with Abalone. I had no idea how to cook them. Someone suggested I take a rolling pen to crush a bag of BBQ Frito chips, use a mallet to tenderize the abalone meat, dip in egg, then in the Fritos, fry them, and then sprinkle some fresh lemon juice on them. They were tender and delicious actually.

...We would often come back with Abalone. I had no idea how to cook them. Someone suggested I take a rolling pen to crush a bag of BBQ Frito chips, use a mallet to tenderize the abalone meat,...

Although I never dove off of So. Calif., my good friend did, and after wrapping the abalone in saran wrap and aluminum foil, we'd lay it on the asphalt and drive over it with a pickup truck several times in order to tenderize it... and it worked! :LOL:

When I lived in MN, when I was in HS, I was on a ski team--we'd stop in Duluth and eat--one of the "items" on the menu was fried frog legs--I loved them. But, I doubt I would ever think of cooking them...don't know if I could eat them now! Hormones (okay guys, that's menopause--taste buds change!).

I don't like frog legs as much as I used to, but I still have them a couple times/year. So much simpler just to cook garlic chicken wings.

Two things: alligator, and earthworm cookies.

The cookies were made in a high school home economics class. I seem to recall the lesson having something to do with survival foods. Anyway, the earthworms were first washed and cooked in boiling water, after which they were dried in the oven, and crumbled like bacon bits. The worms were then mixed into oatmeal cookie batter and baked.

I don't recall much about the taste myself, but I do remember trying them out on a few unsuspecting individuals. No one had any problem with them until you ran down the list of ingredients. The looks on peoples' faces was priceless.

Not really all that odd, but I don't like them at all. I cooked Chitterlings (aka Chitt'lin's) on a dare. The folks who are them said they were good.

I just stuck with the accompanying spaghetti and cole slaw.

lutefisk is a dare food. all nationalities have them, this is the norsk variety.

i happen to like it, btw, along with fiskeboller.

When I lived in MN, when I was in HS, I was on a ski team--we'd stop in Duluth and eat--one of the "items" on the menu was fried frog legs--I loved them. But, I doubt I would ever think of cooking them...don't know if I could eat them now! Hormones (okay guys, that's menopause--taste buds change!).

Isn't that the truth. But why did my aversion have to be watermelon and cucumbers? I keep trying to love them the way I did. Why couldn't it be potato chips or something fattening?

Although I never dove off of So. Calif., my good friend did, and after wrapping the abalone in saran wrap and aluminum foil, we'd lay it on the asphalt and drive over it with a pickup truck several times in order to tenderize it... and it worked! :LOL:

Abalone was one of my early cooking experiments. We got it off some cliffs at Vandenberg AFB. I pounded the living daylights out of it and tried to turn it into a chowder. It was fish-flavored rubber bands (I think I didn't realize exactly how much pounding would be involved ... maybe I was too gentle). I'm not sure if I've had it since! For toughness, it was pretty darned close to the time I tried to cook beef heart (another high school attempt!).

This may not sound that strange to a lot of people, but my husband once told me that he wanted chicken cooked in strawberries. I've had chicken with fresh fruit in salads many times and always love it, but for some reason I couldn't get my brain to mix the flavors of chicken and warm strawberries. He finally bugged me enough that I gave it a try. Not wanting to waste good fresh strawberries, I mashed up thawed frozen strawberries with lime, cilantro, a touch of sugar and salt. I cut some chicken breast into thin strips, lightly salted it, browned it, then added the strawberry sauce for the last minute or so of cooking until it was warm and the chicken was cooked through. I served it in whole wheat pitas. I think we used shredded romaine in them, too. We both loved it! I'm not sure why I couldn't get my brain to like the combination before I actually made it, but it turned out great!

Dad's CO on Guam was a fisherman and whatever he caught my Mother would cook and he would join us for dinner. If I understand the story correctly, he got back late and put the barracuda he caught on the air conditioner so he wouldn't wake us up. He called Mom around noon the next day and told her about it.

Mom called Dad and told him the fish smelled horrible. My parents, teenagers from Wyoming, didn't know anything about fish, unless it was a trout. Dad told Mom to cook it anyway. I still remember the taste of the one bite I took...I was 4 years old. Dad's CO was the only person to eat that fish.

I just smoked some frog legs yesterday, I loved them. Wife wouldn't try them, kids said it was too fishy. Bunch of Nancy's!;)

I've also smoked beef heart and tounge. Kids liked both of those.

I like try'n the "odd" stuff, never know what you'll like. I now will pick frog legs over chicken wings any day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom