The oddest thing you've cooked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lived in North Dakota in my late teens/early 20s and Lefse and Ludifisk were at every potluck. There isn't much I turn my head at, but ludifisk? Lye soaked fish?

I do remember once seeing a recipe for stuffed beef heart and I made it. It was terrible. Beef heart is so darned tough. The stuffing was rice-based, and my father hates rice (don't ask me why). I was probably 16 or 17. It tasted ok, really, and everyone ate it (we were raised with organ meats), but it was quite rubbery.

I do remember once seeing a recipe for stuffed beef heart and I made it. It was terrible. Beef heart is so darned tough. The stuffing was rice-based, and my father hates rice (don't ask me why). I was probably 16 or 17. It tasted ok, really, and everyone ate it (we were raised with organ meats), but it was quite rubbery.

Cook it longer and it gets very tender. I did cut out some of the "silver skin" or what ever it is called that just won't break down, then smoked it. I did 1/2 a beef heart and smoked till internal temp of 195* or so. Came out nice and tender and we all really liked it.

Groundhog. Bear chops. Raccoon. Snapping turtle.

And when I first moved here, I bought a whole hog. It came from the meat locker in white packages, and two of the packages were labeled 'head'. Each had half the head in it, minus the eyeballs, thank goodness. I just boiled them in a big pot, picked the meat off and added barbecue sauce. Pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom