The oddest thing you've cooked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What is the most odd thing you've tried to cook, and what were the results? I don't mean Zimmern or Bourdain, just combinations you weren't expecting, or a new product you didn't think you'd like but tried, etc.

Mine was a couple of years ago, a friend returned from a trip to Scotland and threw a Scottish-themed party. It was great fun, and I looked for a recipe, not necessarily "authentic", but preferably from a Scottish chef. I found Scotch marinaded shrimp. I don't even like Scotch, and can take or leave shrimp, but it was a huge hit, even with me. It certainly disappeared at the party (my husband, who loves scotch, insisted on a good brand, I think it may have even been single malt). Whoda thunk?

The most odd thing you've cooked

Beef Tongue. The X said it was good.......

Don't know how many folks would consider it odd, but Karen made a smoked salmon cheese cake at my request. She isn't into smoked fish but I loved it! I took some to work and asked if anyone wanted some homemade cheese cake. You can imagine the reaction when they discovered the cheese cake was savory and not dessert.:rolleyes:

Craig

When I commercial fished, I always brought Mom a fish when I got home from a trip. Once I brought her a triggerfish. Now triggerfish is not what you'd call scaly, more like armored. One captain skinned it like a catfish using pliers.

This one was gutted, but with the skin on. She decided to just bake it, skin and all. The skin came off easily and it tasted fantastic.

Don't know how many folks would consider it odd, but Karen made a smoked salmon cheese cake at my request. She isn't into smoked fish but I loved it! I took some to work and asked if anyone wanted some homemade cheese cake. You can imagine the reaction when they discovered the cheese cake was savory and not dessert.:rolleyes:

Craig

That does sound good...

Hmmm....

I haven't done cheesecake in a while.

An entire case of twenty one year old U.S. Navy canned "C" rations. They were still good, even the pork in gravy and canned water.

I have said it before....I was raised eating a number of critters most folks would say is odd. Eel, beef tongue ( for that matter I have eaten deer, bear, and pig tongue), chitlins, pig's feet, chicken feet, well the list is long. I reckon odd is in the mind of the diner.

I made beer braised beef in the crock pot once - and only once! It didn't taste too bad, but the smell - well, that's another story. Took two weeks to get the smell out of the house. NEVER again.

Porcupine, it was really, really delicious. Cook it like pork - it's fatty and could have trichina. Don't eat the liver if the porcupine has been eating pine or other evergreens. :LOL:

When I was young I had a mate who was a Gypsy as a treat his Mum would coat a hedgehog in clay and put it in a fire.The clay goes rock hard so when you pull it off it takes the quills out.

We had homemade escargot once.

Talk about smelly kitchens!!!! My ex decided we'd go crab hunting one night. There was some kind of crab that would come out at night onto the roads down around Homestead, city right before you go into Florida Keys, and he wanted some of those crabs he'd had when he was a kid in Cuba. Off we went and came home with a bunch of crabs. Well, he didn't cook and I didn't know the first thing about cooking crabs (I was about 20) except that you steamed or boiled them so we decided to boil them. OMG!!! the smell, it was nauseating. He was able to eat them, I don't know how he got it down with that odor permeating the house. I picked the rest of them, there was NO WAY I was eating that, froze the meat, and he finished it later on. There was nothing wrong with them. We found out later by asking an older Cuban woman about them, that you always cook them outside because of the smell. It took weeks for the house to smell normal again and even though it was summertime we'd open the windows and turn on the fan when we were home. I couldn't even look at any kind of crab for months and months afterward.

Karen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom