The one spice you just don't like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting topic!

I like both dill and Tarragon, but find that I don't want to eat them too often.

Has anybody ever cooked with cervil? I haven't, which is why I am asking.

Pam

Pam Leavy said:
Interesting topic!

I like both dill and Tarragon, but find that I don't want to eat them too often.

Has anybody ever cooked with cervil? I haven't, which is why I am asking.

Pam

Spices and herbs are different, but oh well.

Regarding Chervil, you can treat it like a microgreen meaning that it's better to eat it raw in a salad or appetizer rather than cook it. Chervil is popular in French cuisine and is used in traditional Bernaise and other French sauces. For personal preference, I like the fresh uncooked flavor of chervil and because its flavor is less intense than that of a parsley, I like to use it in salads or raw seafood appetizers (such as Ahi Tartare) to give a nice contrast in taste and texture.

Roasmary & fennel are the only 2 I don't really care for. My FIL killed a batch of roasted potatoes with rosemary once & I can't stand it now.

That shows how tastes vary. I regularly make roasted potatoes with olive oil, garlic and rosemary!

Thanks for the advice concerning Chervil, also for the spelling check.
Pam

Constance said:
I don't like cilantro...to me it tastes like soap. I always replace it with Italian parsley...may not be authentic, but I like it better.
I don't like fennel or anise, either.

Soap or perfume!
Dove

i can't think of any herbs or spices that i don't like. my all time favorite would have to be rosemary and second would be fresh ginger root. the scent it gives off is great. if i had to pick one though i think it would be cloves.

After my brother made paprika chicken, I can no longer stand the spice.....shudders that chicken was NASTY!!!! I also don't care for cilantro or too much dill. A little is fine, but just a dash too much and ewwwwwww.

kitchenelf said:
I agree with Michael - you can't substitute cumin with anything. Just leave it out if you don't like it. Chili powder is chili powder - I guess it could work - but like Michael said try adding less than the recipe calls for if you have "issues" with it. Personally, I can't get enough cumin. But don't make me smell it on its own - peeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww - stinky feet! LOL

Yep, you got that right. Cumin and Chili powder are my least favorites, but I do use them in moderation. A few months ago I made a recipe blend for curry and garam masala. Toasted and ground. For 24 hours my house smelled like a foot locker.

I love all spices and herbs but some more than others. I have found that some recipes overdose on cinnamon. When I was growing up, many years ago, cinnamon and nutmeg and pepper, were the only ones in my mothers cupboard. Maybe poultry spice and clove.

i have not tasted a spice i don't like, so far.

luvs, do you mean dried rosemary? when it is dried, it has that "needle" effect in food. i will grind it in a mortar and pestle if the recipe calls for it dried.

Juniper berries.I just can not stand the flavor at all.

Thank goodness they aren't used very often in recipes.

I thought I had posted in this thread - but couldn't find it. I don't like fennel. It is sometimes overwhelming in Italian sausage. If there is only a small bit, that is fine - but I really don't like a pronounced "fennel" taste.

I can NOT stand anything that the East Indians?(not sure if that's what they really are...no offense to anyone by ANY means!!!) I believe it's curry and allspice!

I was living with this family when I was in college and I loved their cooking....until I became pregnant and now just the thought of it makes me want to gag.....not the food it's self but the smell of it!:sick: :sick:

Once again I mean NO offense to ANYONE!!!

icky and yummy spices & herbs

I agree with some...it's Cumin I don't like. I've tried ground, roasting the whole seeds, etc. I just hate it. I'm going to thrown mine away.

On the other hand...I love Fennel seed. I always put it into spaghetti & lasagna.

I love cilantro, and crave it. I can understand how others don't like it though. Once I grew a nice long row of of it and it was thick and beautiful...I thought it stunk so bad it made me sick. :sick: Now I adore it in Mexican & Thai dishes. :pig:

Luv different flavors of peppercorns, and the 4-pepper mix.

Clove -- we won't talk about the "double whammie" of clove cigarettes.

Clove . . . to the point that recipes calling for "clove of garlic" put me off when I see the "clove" and only bring me back into a balanced kharma when I see "garlic."

Why don't they call it a pod of garlic? :mrgreen:

When I was in the Army (Daphne DuLibre is a pun on a classic European bike race. I'm a guy.) When I was in the Army, the cooks prepared ham with clove and pineapple.

Ick. The most huge aesthetic mistake of the 20th Century is pineapple on pizza. I like pineapple, but not with ham, especially not with ham on pizza.

Anyway, ham with clove and pineapple. I'm not alone. The cooks in the mess hall would prepare a ham for us without the clove, without the pineapple. And it always got eaten.

I'm not a fussy eater, but I don't care for nutmeg and leave it out of recipes. Caraway seed, nahhhhhhhh. And please omit the celery seed in my cole slaw -- It tastes bitter.

But cumin . . . Jeez. I like to open the bottle and take a whiff just because I'm in the cupboard. :mrgreen: Sometimes I take a whiff for "inspiration" (which literally means "take a whiff) -- inspiration for coming up with something for dinner. I add cumin to my Pace Piquante . . .

Last edited:
Gonna have to join the club and say it's cloves for me too! Powdered or whole I just can not bring myself to like their taste.

Back
Top Bottom