The one spice you just don't like

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Kitchen said:
Could someone describe the taste of Cardamom? One recipe called for it and was over $11 so I just left it out but often wonder what would it have tasted like. Thanks

Also they have all their spices on sale this week. Could someone suggest some I should buy that normally costs over $5 that I should try to buy. I do like to get things at lower price.

Ok, I just pulled out my Cardamom and gave it a check. Now, I remind you, I have commited a vile sin by owning a small bottle of it for over 8 years, and not using it since I bought it. This is why I had to check it, as I forgot what the flavor/scent was.

Smell: It kind of reminded me of some kind of orange-scented candy.

Taste: I just licked the end of my finger, tapped a little of the spice on it, and tasted that. I DID NOT caramelize it, as cooking with it most probably would. It reminds me of cinnamon, but mixed with something else, which I believe would just be the way Cardomom tastes.

In use, the bottle (McCormick's) stated it is used in pastries, and Scandanavian cooking. I will agree with the pastries, as this is definitely a "sweet" spice. The only reason I bought it, was to make a cinnamon roll recipe that called for it. I wasn't impressed with the recipe, as it had to much Cardamom, not enough cinnamon and sugar.

When buying spices, remember that ounce for ounce, spices are more expensive than just about anything else. This has been true for centuries; peppercorns used to literally be worth their own weight in gold.

To get your money's worth, try to decide if the spice you are buying is something that you're going to use a lot of, or something that you're only going to use once or twice a year. Buy accordingly. If you are lucky, you will have some place that sells bulk spices by the ounce, so that you can buy a little, as needed. You'll just need a jar of some kind to store it in after you purchase it.

In the Kitchen said:
Could someone describe the taste of Cardamom? One recipe called for it and was over $11 so I just left it out but often wonder what would it have tasted like. Thanks.

I personally LOVE cardamom, it is partially because I adore Indian/middle eastern fare so much... this spice is, at least for me, a must for so many of their recipe. They are also very nice when a tiny dash is added to egg or potato salad. As to the flavour description, I am not sure about the "Orange flavoured candy" scent...maybe it turns out like that after being stored for 8years:ROFLMAO: Probably the cinnamon like taste that Allen described is due to its touch of sweetness this spice has. But it is not just that... it is very hard to describe, it is intensely aromatic, pungent, in a very refreshing and pleasant way. However it is very powerful and just a little pinch is usually enough, try to be careful not to let it overpower the whole dish... and it is the best when added just before you finish your cooking.
It can be, unfortunately, an expensive spice, but maybe if you have an access to an international/ethnic market you may be able to buy a small amount. Also it is better if you buy a whole seed and grind it yourself as you use them... the effect of its aroma can be maximized this way and also it cost much less... anyway I hope you can find a good deal on it... it's really worth a try!!

Also they have all their spices on sale this week. Could someone suggest some I should buy that normally costs over $5 that I should try to buy. I do like to get things at lower price.

WELL WHO DOESN'T????:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Cardamom, low cost spices & get the subject going agian!

Hi--
I don't use cardamom much but wish I used it more, because I really like it. I have about an 8 year old bottle of it in my cupboard too. Cardomom seeds are what gives that delicious rice pudding served in Indian restaurants its unique flavor.

I have recently found that the best and very cheapest place to get spices are in ethnic grocery stores. They usually sell them in larger bags for soooo much less than those little bottles in the grocery store. I went to an Indian grocery a couple of weeks ago and bought a big bag of black peppercorns for 2.89, big bag of sesame seeds for 1.50. They had lots of other herbs, seeds, spices for super low prices too. I have found this in the Asian stores as well.

Another reason for buying whole spices instead of ground is that they last longer (keep their flavor longer). I use a little electric coffee grinder to grind them, except nutmeg, which I bought a little grate for. On the food channel they use one of those micro planes you get at a hardware store.

I have my sights set on a spice shelf that has a clear acrylic front so you can see your spices, and to put it in a place where it's accessable when I'm cooking. I'm tired of digging through a dark cupboard. Anybody else have any good methods?

I love the flavor of the "tri-color" pepper, which actually has white, green, red and black peppercorns.

Shelly in Ohio:cool:

Dislike Cilantro...I feel it overpowers everything else in a dish. Which is surprising because I'm a huge spice/herb nut and include plenty in my cooking.

Also, that one that has a hint of licorice. I think it's Anise? Cardamom seeds? In delicate doses, fine. Anything stronger and it tastes almost unnatural.

uhm umh....let me see...the one spice I don't eh like...I have never tried cilantro, no idea what it is, but something tells me I'll like it. No idea what spice I don't like.I am spicy!!!!!!!:D

sizzles said:
uhm umh....let me see...the one spice I don't eh like...I have never tried cilantro, no idea what it is, but something tells me I'll like it. No idea what spice I don't like.I am spicy!!!!!!!:D

Siz, I bet you would love cilantro!! They are not really spices but fresh herbs, like parsley with a kick, they are in fact coriander leaves, although the flavour is a bit different. They are widely used to garnish many indian dishes, very aromatic, give it a try by any means!!

Black pepper. I like spicy, well somewhat spicy foods, but not black pepper, it gives food some strange taste I can't stand. So I cayene pepper, or fresh peppers, jalapeno or others to hit my food up. Actually to be completelly hones, I should admit that I do not care for for most of the spices, or herbs for that matter. Yes I do use them, but personaly can very well survive without a lot of them. The only spice that I do like is probably Hungarian paprika.

Last edited:
urmaniac13 said:
Siz, I bet you would love cilantro!! They are not really spices but fresh herbs, like parsley with a kick, they are in fact coriander leaves, although the flavour is a bit different. They are widely used to garnish many indian dishes, very aromatic, give it a try by any means!!

Oh my goodness, are they what I call dhania? Dhania are coriander leaves. They are yummy!I use them in all my stews. Oh I love them.

I am not sure, but aren't Dhania the coriander seeds? Cilantro is the leaf, not the seed. It has a very distinct taste. People either love it or hate it. Those that hate it often describe the taste like eating soap. I happen to love the stuff. It is probably my favorite herb.

I don't care for horseradish. I know it's a root and the leaves are used as herbs but the bitterness in it just makes me gag.

Dina said:
I don't care for horseradish. I know it's a root and the leaves are used as herbs but the bitterness in it just makes me gag.
I'm really not a fan of horeradish either Dana, or Japanese wasabi (the only Wasabi that I like is our own DC Wasabi! :))

I thought I was the only person on earth who hated black pepper because in every single cooking show EVERYWHERE-balck pepper gets put in EVERYTHING.It was the only spice my mother-in-law ever used-my husband still douses everything in it. I always half the amount asked for when cooking just to be a good sport for the rest of my family who enjoy it.I'm not a fan of cilantro either or Chinese 5 spice or anise-well I guess the thread is for what spice do you likethe least and I've already gone over!!!!Sorry!! VickiQ

I'm not crazy about cilantro, but can eat it if only a little is included in a recipe. It certainly is easy to over do it, tho. I don't like anise at all and fennel should definitely be in limited amounts.

GB said:
I am not sure, but aren't Dhania the coriander seeds? Cilantro is the leaf, not the seed. It has a very distinct taste. People either love it or hate it. Those that hate it often describe the taste like eating soap. I happen to love the stuff. It is probably my favorite herb.

GB, dhania are the leaves not seeds. Infact, I never knew of the seeds until much later, we always cooked with the leaves, and like you it's one herb that I really like.When we first arrived here from Kenya, I couldn't find the herb at all, so I asked my mum to send me some seeds to plant. But now they are in every supermarket.

just in case someone here can't find it, i've found that cilantro is also known as chinese parsley. i was going nuts looking for it one day while shopping in an asian market (where many things are written only in asian characters), and i finally found someone who spoke enough english to understand what i was looking for, and directed me to a bin labelled "chinese parsley".
i thought it strange to call it a type of parsley from it's taste, but looking at the leaves, i can see the resemblance.
i wonder if the plants are related botanically?

buckytom said:
just in case someone here can't find it, i've found that cilantro is also known as chinese parsley. i was going nuts looking for it one day while shopping in an asian market (where many things are written only in asian characters), and i finally found someone who spoke enough english to understand what i was looking for, and directed me to a bin labelled "chinese parsley".
i thought it strange to call it a type of parsley from it's taste, but looking at the leaves, i can see the resemblance.
i wonder if the plants are related botanically?

Bucky, cilantro/dhania/chinese parsley seems to have a different name all over the world. Cool herb!

And just to confuse matters more...... cilantro (leaves and stem)is known as coriander in the UK! And I believe that only the seeds are so called in the USA?

Coriander is very popular here, introduced in the main because of our large Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi communities, whose ethnic dishes are so popular here that curry is now considered as much our national dish as roast beef!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom