"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #21
Cook

Cooking is an art I found out and now at 75 years old I can cook fairly good.
georgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Watching someone cook who can't cook? You mean like Sandra Lee?
Try Rachel Ray. That is painful. Sandra at least doesn't pretend to be a big Chef.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
This is a venting thread.
In my household, I am the cook. ...
Oh, Larry, I had to laugh. I could have been the one writing this thread, word by word.
When I was working a lot of overtimes one year my wife tried to experiment in the kitchen. G-d bless her sole, she is a wonderful woman, but I'm sorry to say most of it was not really addible. Good for me I would come home so late, I simply did not have time to eat. One time I remember I came home early and she was very exited to serve some sort f a chicken, I firmly believe that a person has to have a special talent to ruin chicken, so I seat down to eat, my son tells me how good it was, and then when DW was not looking quietly whispers in my ear, that it is really bad, but I should pretend that it is good so not to offend mommy, that kid is great, accidentally he just got accepted into UC Davis for pre med neurology and behaver program. Oh, back to chicken. It was not addible. I am happy to cook, as long as she does dishes, according to her I do not know how to do dishes and do very bad job doing it. To each it's own. This arrangement works for us.

Oh and as far as some other people cooking, I remember watching this video of a "great chef" , who was cutting vegetables with bread knife.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
WHOLE BEANS!!!

You have to be careful what you post , I laughed so hard, my coworker came to see what's going on, and I actually have my own office, not just a cubical.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
Master Chef

This whole thread should get some kind of special award for being the funniest, most enjoyable thread ever on DC.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #26
Sous Chef

My DH thinks he can cook, if needed. Fortunately, he doesn't feel it is needed very often. His best "dish" is grilled cheese. I'll share the recipe:

Two pieces of white bread.
One slice of American Cheese.
Mustard.

Toast bread in toaster. Remove bread, slather with mustard, place cheese on slice of toast, top with other slice of toast. Wrap in paper towel. Nuke until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

Suffice it to say, I do all of the cooking.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:46 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Ginny, I know how to cook, but sometimes I make those kind of grilled cheese sandwiches! I call it Cheater Grilled Cheese and would make them when we were trying to cut back on calories from fat... and I was trying to get out of actually grilling the sandwich. I like holding the non-buttered bread better, so now I use my Cuisinart Griddler if I want unbuttered bread.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 08-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Try Rachel Ray. That is painful. Sandra at least doesn't pretend to be a big Chef.
Rachael doesn't, either. She has said throughout her career that she's a cook and not a chef. I learned a lot from her when I was learning how to cook close to 20 years ago (late bloomer here ). She starts with whole ingredients, for the most part, and her food is well-seasoned. I still use some of her recipes.

What do you not like about her?
Old 08-25-2021, 01:40 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Ginny, I know how to cook, but sometimes I make those kind of grilled cheese sandwiches! I call it Cheater Grilled Cheese and would make them when we were trying to cut back on calories from fat... and I was trying to get out of actually grilling the sandwich. I like holding the non-buttered bread better, so now I use my Cuisinart Griddler if I want unbuttered bread.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Well, see, you have a reason! And, know how to cook. I get it. I have an All-Clad that I sometimes use for similar reasons. And then, there are the days that I just pull out the "taco sheets" from Smart & Final (or whatever they are calling themselves today) and let the paper help with the messiness.
Old 08-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

What do you not like about her?
Everything!
Old 08-26-2021, 09:30 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I'm not a big fan of Rachael's, either, but I will say I liked her in the early years - those "30 minute" shows.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:17 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I'm not a big fan of Rachael's, either, but I will say I liked her in the early years - those "30 minute" shows.

That's what I'm talking about. I had surgery years ago that required a six-week recovery at home and I discovered the Food Network and Rachael Ray. My mother didn't teach me much about cooking - it's not something she enjoys. So I learned a lot from those "30-Minute Meals" shows.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #33
Sous Chef

I enjoyed The Galloping Gourmet, especially when he had Julia Child on the episode! I enjoyed the Frugal Gourmet too. Years later, I enjoyed Bobby Flay/Jack McDavid's Grillin' & Chillin' too.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #34
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Knives! I can't stand watching inept knife use. I cringe and wait for the knife to flop onto it's side mid stroke or fingers to be extended into the path of the sharp edge and blood to flow.

I further shiver at the site of dull knives being used because of the additional force needed to cut. That extra force translates to deeper cuts and more blood.

Horrible...
Old 08-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #35
Wannabe TV Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlied View Post
you have to be careful what you post , i laughed so hard, my coworker came to see what's going on, and i actually have my own office, not just a cubical.
bahahaha!
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #36
Wannabe TV Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Knives! I can't stand watching inept knife use. I cringe and wait for the knife to flop onto it's side mid stroke or fingers to be extended into the path of the sharp edge and blood to flow.

I further shiver at the site of dull knives being used because of the additional force needed to cut. That extra force translates to deeper cuts and more blood.

Horrible...

+1 Janet!

My DH is NOT allowed to even touch any knives in our home any longer!

Not long after we were married, he had gone out for Beers with the guys after work, came home late, with one (or three) too many Beers in him and he was hungry.
Not wanting to wake me, he decided that he would make himself a Bagel Sandwich, the Bagel was not pre-split
While holding the said Bagel in one hand and trying to slice it open with a knife in the other hand ... you get the picture

He came barreling into the bedroom, yelling, with our GSD in tow, and blood dripping everywhere.
I grabbed a towel, his hand, shoved it up in the air over his head, explaining calmly that he needed to keep good pressure on the wound, threw on some clothes and off we went to the ER only a few miles away, thank goodness!

The attending physician said that he was very lucky to have not severed any nerves or tendons and his pinky finger was stitched back on.
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #37
Master Chef

Speaking of knives. I volunteer in synagogue kitchen. Or rather used before corona. I went back fir the first time last Friday. Oh my. All my knives, I bought most of the knives in the kitchen, have been destroyed. Looking nearly ďsuradedĒ (sp?) thatís how bad they are. I donít even know if they can be fixed. Who cooked there for the last year and a half I donít know, but how cold they cut anything with those knives is beyond me. Very sad.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Once in a while you find you actually made a good impression on someone!

A kid I met a couple of years ago, when tutoring him in math, liked to cook me a quick dal halfway through, and he didn't have a great selection of knives - his family didn't take care of them well, and even when he tried to sharpen them, it didn't work. I showed him why - they had been sharpened to where the edges were thick, and they would have to be totally "reshaped". He was into metalwork in school, so he knew what I meant. And I got him some extra knives I had in my basement - things I had at my Mom's house, and got back, but don't need them. He was thrilled to get them - an 8" chef's knife, and 8" cleaver. He keeps them in the cardboard sheaths that I had them in, and tells everyone else not to touch them! He keeps them razor sharp, always showing me how he can shave some hair off his arm with the knife he's using, and showing me how just the weight of the knife will cut through some things! And as soon as he's done with it, he'll wash it, dry it, and put it away in the sheath. He's only 18 now, and more obsessed with the knives than I am!
Old 09-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #39
Master Chef

That's just awesome, Dave.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:04 AM   #40
Master Chef

Charlie, some people just have no respect for things, especially if they didn't pay for them. Sorry you were on the receiving end of that insult.

Pepper, awesome kid!

Tags
cook