Thicken meat sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freelance

Assistant Cook
I made a pot of meat sauce, cooked for 4 hours, but I forgot to add the tomato paste and it's not as thick as I would want it! Can I just put it all back in a pot and add the paste and cook for 1 hour or so? Would that change the acidity or taste of how it should be?
How to I correct my error?

Tomato paste is not really a thickener in the quantity used in a meat sauce. If its taste is missing, then put it in and simmer for a short time.
To thicken, I'd use beurre manie and depending on the type of sauce, maybe demi glace.

You could even take out some of the meat sauce and give it a quick pulse in a blender, then add it back into the rest of the sauce. That'll help thicken it if you don't want to add butter to the mixture.

Another good filler is a saute of mushrooms chopped added parsley and garli,onion for flavor just saute and add.
kadesma

To thicken, I'd use beurre manie and depending on the type of sauce, maybe demi glace.

That would add volume and not help thicken. Butter would give it a great mouth feel, and I wouldn't wanna waste a good demi like that. just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom