Thoughts on breaking spaghetti prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?

• Yes, almost always or always

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • No, never or barely ever

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Less than 50% of the time

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More than 50% of the time

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
I never break it or cut it anymore, though I used to. Then I got scolded by an Italian friend who told me I ate spaghetti like a "bambino." Now I just twirl and slurp up the long strands and wear a napkin tucked into my shirt like a bib, which I think makes me look even more like a bambino.

I seem to be better with a spoon than without. I keep things neater that way. Maybe I'll practice a bit without a spoon and see how it goes. Hopefully I don't have to wash the dining room wall afterwards......

I never break it or cut it anymore, though I used to. Then I got scolded by an Italian friend who told me I ate spaghetti like a "bambino." Now I just twirl and slurp up the long strands and wear a napkin tucked into my shirt like a bib, which I think makes me look even more like a bambino.

For instructions on how to eat pasta, see Post #7. :pig:

We break ours and I am embarrassed by a friend who asks for a spoon and wears a bib when we eat in a restaurant. This friend is a second generation Italian who grew up on the lower east side of NYC and is a self proclaimed expert on everything Italian even though he has never been to Italy.

Twirl it around fork in a Tablespoon

Good Morning,

We do not break the Ribbon Pastas, if using Barilla ...

I normally make my own ...

I have always seen Italians, twirl it around a fork in a tablespoon.

They may, slice it for children ...

Thanks, interesting post.
Have nice wkend.
Margi Cintrano.

sometimes i do, other times i don't. both ways is good for me. i was fourteen years old before i ever tasted pizza or spaghetti. it seems i've been trying to make up for lost time ever since then with every new food imaginable from every part of the world....

No breaking here. Whether you break or not, just don't over cook please!:( Gummy isn't good.

are there certain customs that are superior to other customs when it comes to successfully transferring spaghetti strands from plate to mouth, and if so, why?

I would not touch a plate with broken spaghetti on it.
If someone wants to avoid the 'mess' cook penne or other short pasta.....spaghetti are ment to be messy and relaxing :)

would not touch...really? even if you were very hungry? is there a purism of some kind governing legitimate spaghetti eating manners that i'm missing? for instance, i would never presume to dictate how anyone chooses to cut up, cook or serve their potatoes. suggestions, maybe, but no draconian rules....

Back
Top Bottom