Thoughts on breaking spaghetti prior to cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you break your spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking?

• Yes, almost always or always

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • No, never or barely ever

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Less than 50% of the time

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • More than 50% of the time

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters

1006gm

Assistant Cook
Who breaks their spaghetti/linguine prior to cooking it. My husband and I bicker about this all the time. He likes me to break it and cook it so it's not messy and so he doesn't have to cut it. I don't like to break it. Any reasons as to why I should or shouldn't break it? What do you do with your pasta? Thanks!

Last edited:
I always break mine in half as I add it to the pot.

One reason is that I prefer to cut my spaghetti up before I eat it. I don't like the spaghetti stain caused by a swing back of a loaded noodle.

It's your pasta, do whatever you want.

You could also buy a different shape of pasta that doesn't require breaking up to be easy to eat.

I grab the pound of spaghetti and slam one end down on the counter to open the pack then break in half and twirl the halves into the water. I like them that length and you don't have 1/4 sticking out of the water untill it softens. I think it cooks more evenly and doesn't stick together as much.

Do what floats your boat though. It's your party.

I find that it twirls better with a fork and spoon if it isn't broken first, so I don't break. I used to break but then dealt with spaghetti shrapnel flying around the kitchen!

I use a stir-fry type pan (it's pretty deep) to cook pasta and it is wide enough to take the whole length of spaghetti laying down.

My partner just cuts up his spaghetti to eat it.

Like I keep saying, I learned from all the Italian Noni's. So I never break mine. And I learned how to eat it so it isn't too messy. Just take no more than four or five strands of pasta between the tines of your fork and twirl your fork around just about an inch or so above the dish until all of the strands are wrapped around the fork. You now have a reasonable size mouthful that will fit in your mouth very easily. I have taught this to several grandchildren. There are some long pastas that you can not do this with. Bucatini is one of them. It is very thick like a straw. You can only get one strand on your fork if you are lucky. My mother used to buy it all the time. I always thought it was a fun pasta to eat. You can do it with linguini, but with some difficulty. I am not too fond of linguini and other flat pastas.

I have never seen an Italian break their pasta. :)

I'm with Addie, I never break my pasta. I love to twirll it around my fork then eat. My pots are big enough to hold the pasta so no breaking here. You do what is best for you.
kadesma

I never break mine intentionally. My mum used to break it and we thought she was taking all the fun out of eating spaghetti. I learned to twirl the pasta around the fork a long time ago, and no, I don't need a spoon to help twirl it.

Before I got married I never broke the pasta. Shortly after I got married, DH complained about the long noodles. Turns out his mama broke hers and he got frustrated trying to eat it long. So I break it, he's happy and I don't have to listen to the complaints.

I never break mine intentionally. My mum used to break it and we thought she was taking all the fun out of eating spaghetti. I learned to twirl the pasta around the fork a long time ago, and no, I don't need a spoon to help twirl it.
Most Italians don't use a spoon either. They would look at you with amusement in their eyes if you tried to use a spoon. I know my late m-i-l told me ever so politely don't do that!!!!. Never tried it again after the first time.
kades

I break it for ease of chewing...Shrek won't wear his dentures, so he wants it broken so he can handle it. Since there is no difference in taste...

No breakage here, but whatever floats your boat. It all tastes the same!

BTW, welcome to DC!

I have no idea how I do it. I mean I know I do it both ways, but could not tell exactly how often. I do try to use big pot to cook it whole, because that it's what they made for. But sometimes if I use smaller pot I'd brake them. I do not cut it when I eat it, I twirl around the fork. It's kind of like eating Chinese food with chop sticks.

P.S. Some times Italians just use the bread to help twirl it, but not a spoon that is for sure, big no-no.

Last edited:
Italians realize they don't need a spoon to twirl pasta. I just slide a few strands over to the edge of the plate with my fork and twirl them up with the points of the tines on the plate. Then it's a short and neat trip from the plate to my waiting mouth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom