Throwdown With Bobby Flay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
i watched the 1st two shows last night, and i think it's an awesome concept.

question: have you ever noticed how flay almost always uses a whisk when he's cooking? i rarely see him use spoons or anything else...

what's up with the whisking?

Dang, I missed it...

What were the episode genre's? I thought I heard one of them was Chowder, but I didn't catch the other one. I guess I'll have to start TIVO'ing it..

There were 2 episodes last night?!? I just watched the chowder one while painting the kitchen. I would probably watch anthing with Bobby Flay. I wish he would challenge me with some kitchen renovations, lol!

i caught the very end of it. looked very good..i will definately be on the lookout for more episodes!

vagriller said:
There were 2 episodes last night?!? I just watched the chowder one while painting the kitchen. I would probably watch anthing with Bobby Flay. I wish he would challenge me with some kitchen renovations, lol!
the 1st episode was bobby versus the chowder master from brooklyn... i think his last name was Sargeant. he made a monkfish chowder with a special ingredient = an eel that he cut up live on tv. he also made a clam chowder with 4 different clams and a heavy dose of dill.

bobby made a lobster & corn chowder and a sweet potato chowder.

bobby flay won on flavor...

the 2nd episode pitted bobby flay against an expert wedding cake designer... the overall consensus was that her cake was way more beautiful, but bobby's cake was way more tempting. the judges made comments like, "i want to take a picture with that one, but i want to dive into bobby's cake and eat!!!!"

bobby flay LOST that battle.

awesome concept for a show. it had drama, comedy, elements of surprise and of course, great food.

i'm hooked already.

black chef said:
awesome concept for a show. it had drama, comedy, elements of surprise and of course, great food.

i'm hooked already.

I agree, great concept for a show. Bobby Flay seems to be a natural in front of the camera.

My son (jrironchef) and I loved it too! Bobby's challenger on the chowder thought Bobby was cheating since he was using a pureeing tool (and some huge tool it was!). The Chowder Surfer Boy told Bobby to use his "muscles" :LOL: to mash the ingredients in his chowder. By far, Bobby had all the essential tools to help him combine flavors and make textures. It was all fun! I love how Bobby works with smokey flavored peppers and veggies. He's by far, the best of American chefs.

The cake decorating challenge was mostly entertainment! Seeing Bobby mess up was something new and entertaining to see. We were LOHO when he tried to chop the sticks to hold up the second layer of the cake and then chopped some fresh flowers to decorate his practice cake. By far, I would have prefered his cake for flavor (not looks) after using coconut buttercream frosting on a chocolate ganache cake! Mmmm...we are hooked on this show.

I saw part of the wedding cake show. It looks like it might be a good program.

thurday, 20 July... bobby flay vs marine captain d in a steak cookoff in the mojave desert.

in a close call by the judge, marine capt. d BEATS bobby flay...

and again, another awesome, fast-paced, fun episode.

i love this show.

I only watched the first half of an episode. Who won, him or wedding cake girl?
And yeah, he does love to whisk.

I know Bobby Flay is a very innovative chef, but hardly anything he cooks looks good to me. I guess it's just my Mid-western taste buds talking, but he doesn't seem to be able to cook much of anything without a hot pepper in it. And some of his combinations sound less than palatable to me. Sweet potatoes in clam chowder, for instance. :sick:

Constance said:
I know Bobby Flay is a very innovative chef, but hardly anything he cooks looks good to me. I guess it's just my Mid-western taste buds talking, but he doesn't seem to be able to cook much of anything without a hot pepper in it. And some of his combinations sound less than palatable to me. Sweet potatoes in clam chowder, for instance. :sick:

yeah, that IS different, but judging from the people who tasted it, and from the reaction of the judge, it must have been VERY good.

one of the things i'm learning from flay et.al on the food network is that i've been cheating myself in the area of creativity-esp. with sauces, soups, etc.

btw, since i'm from louisiana, it's almost impossible to cook anything without that "trinity" of onion, bell pepper, and celery. then, there's the roux.

those sauces he created for his steaks were interesting... i'd be willing to try them myself.

Constance said:

I would try the chowder. Some of the strangest things taste great together.

Back
Top Bottom