Tip For The Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goodweed,

How long do you blind bake your pie crust? I love that tip.
Lyndalou

I bake for about 15 minutes at 375' F.

If you have problems with the side crust "melting" downward, you can place a second pie-tin inside the crust to hold the sides upright until the dough begins to set. You don't want to brown the crust hardly at all; just cook it enough to set the eggwash.

Seeeeeeya; Godoweed of the North

Expat and Lefe's; remind me that if you are ever visiting in my neck of the woods to hide all sharp tools and knives.:ROFLMAO:
Goodweed's tip of the day; Use the best ingredients you can afford. It makes a world of difference in the outcome of your cooking projects. And when using dried herbs, as a rule, they are more potent than are the fresh herbs and spices, but with less flavor complexity. Fresh herbs, spices, and flavorings give better flavor and are more controlable, but in most cases, you need to use more. At least that's been my experience. Cilantro leaves are the exception. Fresh are potent and very flavorful. Bland have little to no flavor at all.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

my tip: clean your cutting board often with a bleach cleaner. (between foods. not between washings.)
& wash, wash, wash!

another tip- when opening doors, open with a papertowel.
or an elbow or toilet paper.

Expat, I was talking to hubby at work on the phone while I was cutting something in the kitchen one day <--- [yea, ME] and I said loudly, "uht oh, honey I have to go NOW". He asked what was wrong and I told him I'd just cut off the tip of my thumb.........................................I superglued it and butterflied it and it did 'sort of' heal.:(

My kind of woman...battle scars from the kitchen!:LOL:

You can't make a mistake until you DO something. Beware of people who claim to make no mistakes.

A question ... you used the knife in a bathroom?
Well, yes and no......at home in the states, no........here.....yes, no garbage disposals.....so I was scraping the goopy stuff off the cutting board into the toilet and you know how slippery that stuff is and the knife just slid out of my hand........just thinking about the blade hitting the porcelain and being ruined forever I thought I could grab the handle in midair before that happened.......WRONG....so my finger caught it instead of the porcelain.........Dr. told me to get rid of it........not the finger.......the knife.....:LOL:
!!

Well, yes and no......at home in the states, no........here.....yes, no garbage disposals.....so I was scraping the goopy stuff off the cutting board into the toilet and you know how slippery that stuff is and the knife just slid out of my hand........just thinking about the blade hitting the porcelain and being ruined forever I thought I could grab the handle in midair before that happened.......WRONG....so my finger caught it instead of the porcelain.........Dr. told me to get rid of it........not the finger.......the knife.....:LOL:
!!

Glad your finger survived ! I can understand about knives slipping , had my share of that. :wacko:

make pesto from your garden when the basil is plentiful.
then use an asorbic [is that a word?} tablet or grated lemon rind to keep it from going gray or black in the freezer and freeze in ice cube trays for later use.

make pesto from your garden when the basil is plentiful.
then use an asorbic [is that a word?} tablet or grated lemon rind to keep it from going gray or black in the freezer and freeze in ice cube trays for later use.

if you want the spelling it's "ascorbic acid"......technical name for vitamin C......citrus fruits contain it......lemons, esp...........your idea sounds great to me, LL..........:)

I don't know the technicalities involved, but ascorbic acid differs from citric acid. Your better dog foods use (used to use) citric acid as a natural preservative. If they are on top of their game they switched to ascorbic acid a few years ago. Citric acid is thought to contribute to bloat (gastric torsion).

I guess that was a kind of tip if you read the ingredients on dog food (they have one year to change a label though).

Or, perhaps a better tip is;
Drink your beer with the opposite hand you hold a bowling ball with, or make a bridge for a cue stick. Some thinking may be required if you do both. ;)

I don't know the technicalities involved, but ascorbic acid differs from citric acid. Your better dog foods use (used to use) citric acid as a natural preservative. If they are on top of their game they switched to ascorbic acid a few years ago. Citric acid is thought to contribute to bloat (gastric torsion).

I guess that was a kind of tip if you read the ingredients on dog food (they have one year to change a label though).

Or, perhaps a better tip is;
Drink your beer with the opposite hand you hold a bowling ball with, or make a bridge for a cue stick. Some thinking may be required if you do both. ;)

do you mean a bowling ball in the left hand and a cue tip in the right???.......I think that you're onto something, Pacanis, just think how a bowling ball would clear the pool table.....I might actually win at this game:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

do you mean a bowling ball in the left hand and a cue tip in the right???.......I think that you're onto something, Pacanis, just think how a bowling ball would clear the pool table.....I might actually win at this game:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Uuh, I didn't mean at the same time!
Sheesh. ;):LOL:

I gotta see what's up with these stupid smileys.... :rolleyes: <<<<<
I feel like it's replacement season in football.

are you being benched???? (just for you I didn't use the smiley faces---sheesh, what a crab) jest kidding........:) you know that I'm teasing you, I hope........

Benched? I don't know. I was just noticing that some of he smileys I have been used to have changed. Can't see much of a reason for it, but it's the way my screen looks...

remove polish, piercings, & other jewelry before cooking. Chef JUMPED at me fer wearing lipstick before!! classroom ettiquite, though lipstick seemed fine to me. wait till i wear blue hair to class!!! yeah, ha-ha. it's gonna be black. i don't like being shouted at!

remove polish, piercings, & other jewelry before cooking. Chef JUMPED at me fer wearing lipstick before!! classroom ettiquite, though lipstick seemed fine to me. wait till i wear blue hair to class!!! yeah, ha-ha. it's gonna be black. i don't like being shouted at!

There's a saying that I've seen around for many years :Kiss the Cook...I know that there is a very important word missing but I wouldn't offend someone who can handle knives either and knows the intricacies of deboning and fileting!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom